[LTER-im] LTERHub personnel capability

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:25:07 PDT 2021

Dear LTER Information Managers,

The LTERHub has now launched to all members of the LTER community currently
identified as "active," though there is still some follow-up to ensure that
all have joined who want to.

I know some of you have been holding a backlog of new graduate students and
other new members and wanted to update you on the workflow for getting them
added. Also, based on feedback from several information managers, we have
added an API capability (which will allow you to display your
site-affiliated personnel on your own website in your own formatting) and
the ability to identify individual members according to your own site IDs.

*Workflow for adding new members:*
*Option 1) Batch add: *

   - Send Marty a spreadsheet or csv file with the following columns: *Site,
   Name (First Middle Last), Email, Role (see role definitions),
   contact_site_ID (if used, see below for details).*
   - Marty will upload and activate new members, which will trigger an
   invitation to join the hub (and fill in the rest of their information) and
   an automated reminder process.

*Option 2) Individual add:*

When new people join mid-year, you can direct them to the new user
registration page:
https://lternetwork.force.com/lterhub/secur/CommunitiesSelfRegUi
<https://lternetwork.force.com/lterhub/> where they can register a new
account. If you feel fairly sure they will complete the registration, this
is sufficient.

If you are doubtful, I recommend sending the name, email, and role
information to Marty -- who will add and activate them as Hub members and
trigger the reminder process.

*API*

Urgensee (our SalesForce consultant) has developed an API that will allow
you to access and display on your site website the people who are
associated with your site in the LTERHub. There are two possible endpoints
-- one would simply return all of the site-related people (with public
directory information such as site, role, ORCID, interests). The other
would return individual members, based on an individual ID assigned by the
site. I know that not all sites will use this capability, but some have
specifically requested it.

Urgensee is providing basic documentation with information about how to
access the API (assuming basic knowledge of how to use APIs -- for which
there are many other resources). Information Managers who want to review
the documentation and ask questions can access it here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oXORtETNaYNvVx-kNNmJKHrY8tKPbRFx2ik6paIjYs/edit>
.

If you want to associate a site-assigned identifier with your members, now
is the time to add that information. The full list of contacts is available
in this google sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ICHSjy3BMHSfv1hqXSNVxJNX70ozoS7WXV8O_871m0/edit#gid=953295596

If you want to associate "your" individuals with a site-assigned
identifier, please take the following steps:

1) Let me know that you want to take advantage of this capability and
provide an estimated date by which you can fill in assigned IDs

2) Begin adding site ID's to the spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ICHSjy3BMHSfv1hqXSNVxJNX70ozoS7WXV8O_871m0/edit#gid=953295596>.
Please use your site-assigned unique identifier *with the site acronym
prefix*. So if the Andrews Forest site has someone with the site-assigned
identifier of 12345, they would instead enter AND-12345.

3) Let me know when you have completed adding ID's so I can bulk upload
them to the Hub.

Thanks,
Marty
----

Marty Downs (she/her)  |  ORCID <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2833-956X>
Director, LTER Network Office
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
University of California - Santa Barbara
https://lternet.edu   |   LTER Zotero
<https://www.zotero.org/groups/2055673/lter_network/library>  |  Twitter
<https://twitter.com/uslter>

617-833-7930 (m)

*~~I sometimes find it convenient to email on nights and weekends. *
*That doesn't mean I expect you to reply.~~*