[LTER-im] 2021 IMC annual meeting planning & ESIP summer meeting participation

Gregory Maurer gmaurer at nmsu.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:56:16 PDT 2021

Dear IMC,

IMExec is busy planning activities for the IMC, including IMC participation in the ESIP summer meeting and our IMC annual meeting.

ESIP

The ESIP Summer Meeting<https://esipfed.org/sm2021> will be a virtual event held July 19-23. Funding from the LTER Network Office (LNO) and EDI will allow one representative from each LTER site to participate in the meeting (registration details forthcoming). Session proposals for the meeting are open until April 16 (see the call for sessions<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KnG92ATbNLrVCerLaJNZmHDe6Mmq3UAm0MELVGyvRg/edit?usp=sharing>). We encourage IMC members to develop session proposals, and to submit presentations for the meeting. To encourage participation, spur ideas, and minimize potential overlap, please document ESIP ideas and session proposals on the 'brainstorm' tab of the 2021 LTER IMC Meeting organizing document<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SzLiSEf8QFxYPPqSQxdX9M6vQSlaWwYzA8dkUJmEPGY/edit#gid=460098991>.

annual IMC meeting

IMExec is considering several options for an annual IMC meeting, including in-person and/or virtual events. For the in-person meeting option, IMExec would revisit the retreat-style format where IMs meet at a host LTER site. It is our hope that improved health and societal conditions would permit such a meeting by late summer or early fall. We recognize that conditions may still be tenuous, even under optimal circumstances, so in-person attendance would be optional, and virtual components would be weaved in such that all IMs could participate. It is uncertain what facilities will be open and available later this year, but some ideas for a meeting location include the UNM Sevilleta Field Station (if open) or at CAP (Tempe, Arizona) in association with the LTER Science Council meeting in November (synergy!). The other option is to again have a virtual annual meeting. However, unlike the 2020 annual meeting that centered on a water cooler, IMExec is interested in facilitating a more in-depth meeting, likely spanning multiple days, where we could explore topics in greater detail and engage in constructive activities.

The next water cooler (April 12) will focus on the annual meeting. We ask you to please consider the meeting format, theme, and content, and come prepared to discuss your ideas. You may also enter your IMC meeting ideas on the 'brainstorm' tab of the 2021 LTER IMC Meeting organizing document<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SzLiSEf8QFxYPPqSQxdX9M6vQSlaWwYzA8dkUJmEPGY/edit#gid=460098991>. We need your input to plan a meeting that you and your colleagues will find useful and enjoyable. The annual meeting this year is also particularly important from an administrative standpoint as we need to elect several IMExec members. It is very important that IMC members participate in this election process. More information about the number and types of open positions is forthcoming, but in the meantime, please begin to give some thought to serving on IMExec<https://github.com/lter/IMC_Exec>.

Sincerely,

Greg Maurer on behalf of IMExec

--
Gregory E. Maurer, Ph.D. (he/him)