[LTER-sbc_help] Celebrating Earth Day: Past, Present, and Future

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Thu Apr 22 09:10:18 PDT 2021

 April 22, 2021 Promoting the understanding and stewardship of forest ecosystems through scientific research and monitoring, policy outreach, and education Celebrating Earth Day: Past, Present, and Future Getting up-close-and-personal with the Earth, Hubbard Brook style! Scientist Lindsey Rustad and artist Nikki Lindt dug this soil pit to eavesdrop on underground sounds and explore their connection to forest health. Photo: Joe Klementovich As a long-term ecological research site, Hubbard Brook has witnessed every single Earth Day since its first celebration in 1970. So this year, we thought we'd mark the occasion by sharing reflections from members of the Hubbard Brook community on the significance of Earth Day over time. John Aber, a professor in the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment at the University of New Hampshire, shared how the first Earth Day in1970 changed his career trajectory: "I was a junior at Yale on the first Earth Day. Having spent three years looking for something useful and meaningful to do (not easy at a liberal arts college!), Earth Day gave me the goal and purpose I was seeking. That led my advisor to recommend that I walk up the street to the newly renamed School of Forestry and Environmental Studies (now renamed again), which led in turn to an inspiring 5 years of study and eventually to the opportunity to work with Herb Bormann, Tom Siccama, and all the wonderful folks at Hubbard Brook. My first Hubbard Brook meeting was in 1974 (you can check the picture on the wall!). Truly, Earth Day and Yale FES—and especially Herb, Tom, and Hubbard Brook—made it all possible for me." Hubbard Brook Cooperators' Meeting, 1974. Find John Aber in the first standing row—near center, wearing a brown sweater with arms crossed. Karl Friesen-Hughes, a graduate student in Bioscience, Technology, and Public Policy at the University of Winnipeg and a participant in HBRF's Young Voices of Science program, shared what he finds inspiring about Earth Day this year: "The amazing work being done by scientists and science communicators. We have an endless mountain of work to do, but there is so much good work being done. I was inspired to continue down my own path by other amazing people, and I hope one day I can do the same for someone else." Illustration: Cydney Livingston UPCOMING EVENT Uniting to Protect Our Planet: Bi-Partisan Conversations Powered by the Climate Solutions Foundation Looking ahead to how future generations will celebrate Earth Day, this virtual event on April 29th from 11am to 1pm EDT will feature conversation among congressional, conservation, faith, and agriculture leaders about bipartisan solutions to the climate crisis. Morgan Irons, a PhD candidate in Soil and Crop Sciences at Cornell, will pose a question about regenerative agriculture for resilient local farm economies during the Optimizing Agriculture to Meet Climate Challenges session. HBRF was delighted to connect Morgan with the event organizers via her participation in Young Voices of Science. Illustration: Cydney Livingston Register to attend at the following link: https://www.climatesolutionsfoundation.com/register Happy Earth Day! How are you celebrating? Let us know by responding to this email. The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. ‌ ‌ ‌ Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | Customer Contact Data Notice Sent by sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org powered by Try email marketing for free today!