[LTER-sbc_help] Presenting: Young Voices of Science Project Showcase!

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Fri Apr 2 07:20:29 PDT 2021

 Young Voices of Science Fall 2020 Cohort Project Showcase Last fall, HBRF convened the first cohort of our Young Voices of Science initiative (YVoS), a free science communications training program for graduate and undergraduate students in environmental fields.  The group of 21 students from 11 institutions participated in five expert-led workshops between October and November 2020. To practice what they learned, each participant designed an outreach project with one-on-one mentorship from HBRF staff. As part of the project phase, we connected participants with outreach opportunities and experts in rhetoric, writing, and publishing. Last week, HBRF reconvened the inaugural cohort to share outreach project updates.  The following is a sample of their work. Jenny Bower PhD Candidate, UVM Jenny shared her research with a public audience during a Virtual Science Pub hosted by the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center along with Hubbard Brook Investigator Lindsey Rustad and artist Nikki Lindt. Soundscapes Beneath the Forest Floor Virtual Science Pub NB: Jenny's segment begins at 27:26. Alicia Brunner PhD Candidate, Cornell University Alicia was interviewed by Northern Woodlands about her PhD research on black-throated blue warblers at Hubbard Brook. “One of my goals is to show how deeply connected we are to other places, people, and cultures, based on our love for protecting migratory birds,” Alicia says. Alicia Brunner Follows the Birds Northern Woodlands Catalina Mejia PhD Student, Cornell University Catalina wrote an op-ed for the Journal of Stories in Science about the challenges and isolation of doing climate change-related field work in the midst of a pandemic. Crisis After Crisis During Pandemic Field Day Experiments The Journal of Stories in Science Say Sánchez Environmental Studies/Political Science Major, Hunter College Say wrote an op-ed for Re-Earth Initiative about the history of exclusion in the environmental sector and her personal experiences trying to break into the broader environmental movement. Towards an Inclusive Environment Re-Earth Initiative Illustrations: Cydney Livingston, Duke University Illustrations (above and below right) courtesy of Alexandra Espinosa Say Sánchez collaborated with fine artist Alexandra Espinosa, a student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, on illustrations to complement her op-ed. Say credits the op-ed workshop, led by David George Haskell, for giving her new tools: "What I think is so awesome about the program is being able to connect students with resources that they maybe would not have had access to before." Climate and Clean Energy Youth Forum 2021 Virtual Event Tyler Edwards, Biology Major, Duke University Catalina Mejia, PhD Student, Cornell University Stephen Peters-Collaer, PhD Candidate, University of Vermont Catalina, Stephen, and Tyler participated in the Climate and Clean Energy Youth Forum, Co-hosted by HBRF on March 8. Catalina and Tyler posed questions to members of the Biden/Harris administration from the U.S. Department of Energy and the White House Domestic Policy Council.  Illustrations: Cydney Livingston Stephen presented on “Carbon Capture and Nature-based Solutions” during a breakout session with his advisor, Hubbard Brook Investigator Bill Keeton. Student Quotes "The material was great to be exposed to and be able to take moving forward, but I also really appreciated the community. It is nice knowing that so many other wonderful people share similar interests and concerns." "All of my expectations were met with this program. I learned more about science communication in this program than I ever have. It was awesome!" Illustration: Cydney Livingston Student Quotes "I got a lot out of each of the workshops...the program fit a ton in. I appreciated the program and all the exposure we got to awesome science communicators." "An awesome group of people to work with, both students and mentors!" "I joined thinking it might be fruitful, and it was. I never imagined I would enjoy it as much as I did." Illustration: Cydney Livingston Student Quotes "Engaging with policymakers was something I knew next to nothing about before [the] workshop, and afterwards, I feel like I have a good idea of the goals, reasons, and ways to do so! It was definitely empowering." "Seriously such an awesome program. Thanks for allowing us to learn such useful tips from such inspiring and well-versed speakers!" Illustration: Cydney Livingston More projects are in the works, including a seder celebrating both the biological and traditional Jewish classifications of trees and fruit, a communications campaign on ethical birding, an op-ed about incorporating hope into climate models, and more. Stay tuned for updates from this talented group of students and from the spring 2021 cohort! Young Voices of Science is a program of the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation. It is possible through generous support from the Bailey Charitable Foundation, the Canaday Family Charitable Trust, the Cotyledon Fund, and an anonymous foundation. The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. ‌ ‌ ‌ Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | Customer Contact Data Notice Sent by sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org powered by Try email marketing for free today!