[LTER-mcm-pi] LTER Data Center views

Inigo San Gil isangil at lternet.edu
Mon Jul 27 10:05:17 MDT 2015

Hi all,

I am quite involved in the Information Manager ( IM ) led proposal for a
LTER Data Center; I started paying complete attention as soon as I heard
Saran Twombly was considering plans by the LTER IMs on the next LNO Data
Center (in lieu of a formal RFP).  Since Mike invited me to chime in (
thanks! )  I am taking the opportunity to weight in on the IM led
developments and also express some alternate ideas here.

In summary - The IM plans presented to Mike and the EB here, and the
ideas behind these plans reflect continuity.   While continuity may
sound great for LTER, in my opinion it is also a missed opportunity to
make the LTER Data Center work efficiently for the science and the LTER
scientist.  I back this by 10 years of experience working closely with
the LNO - I think the next Data Center can do a better job.

I have been pushing for a total revamp on how the Data Center and IM
group operates, but I am unsure whether I will succeed with my push -
not too optimistic.  As the plans are, I am missing some critical
components.

In essence, I would be bold about how the Data Center should operate,
and less concerned about maintaining the current status quo.  Some IMs
on the LTER IM group feel like I do, but others may disagree.

I would enforce coordination where coordination can be attained: Even
though all LTERs are different, there are some common IT aspects to all
LTERs. It would no longer be an option to have 26 architectures (to be
maintained) to do the same core functions, in my view, we would have one
common core for all LTERs and then each LTER would maintain their custom
needs.

The effort saved using a common core infrastructure will be used to
serve LTER science needs -- we would place talent to work with teams
that do interesting science, perhaps favoring those cross-site and
synthesis projects, but taking into account any LTER projects.

I also propose a bit different organizational - I would greatly simplify
the diagrams shown in the materials that Mike enclosed. I would go for a
more traditional NSF structure; with a lead PI and a team of other
specialized talented individuals tasked with accomplishing a set of
goals that are proposed by the LTER community (that is, you) and
prioritized by the LTER community.  I would also formally change how
LTER IM teams operate - IMs would contribute to common infrastructure
development and upkeep in their areas of expertise - this would be required.

Operational tweaks: I am a believer in transparency and openness. We all
work better when there is mutual trust, and one way to nurture trust is
to be as transparent and open as possible. Simple changes - I would
record all meetings, would open those for participation. Also, we would
have an open community process to proposing Data Center tasks, void of
tech-jargon.   Also revising the Data center priorities should be
community weighted (think the We the people White house initiative), and
with the oversight of the NSF (under cooperative agreement).  However,
the Data Center group will have the complete independence on how to
accomplish the goals concerted by the community.  This also contrast
with the proposed model, which operates more like it does now ( an even
more IM-heavy NISAC like group ).

Technologically speaking I am proposing re-use of open source products
backed by a strong community.  I would have a team that re-uses and
customizes the best synergistic modern products. Contrast this with the
proposed ideas: revive custom in-house solutions which in my view are
too expensive on the short and long term and may not have served LTER
science needs as expected. I would revise the PASTA effort -- see how
much is being used as it is. I would re-visit the PASTA components of
the current implementation that do not serve the purpose of solving
actual LTER science needs, and divest time and efforts into practical
scientific projects.

This is a summary, I have more detailed plans, but I wanted to emphasize
my differences with what you see in the PDF and PPT docs. I am tempted
on presenting these ideas on an alternative proposal, but I am still
hopeful that all IMs can agree in one common plan. I have been
successful in stopping some aspects of the proposed IM plans that did
not make sense to me, like having an independent financial institution
manage the grant, etc. In any case, these will all unfold by the time
the ASM comes ( a month? ), Saran would like to resolve ASAP, as
whatever the next Data Center is, will have to roll out ops by Spring
next year.

I am all ears about what you think the Data Center should be.  I know
Diane's group was successful in splitting the communications from data
center ops, and I am sure Diane's group have some specific results in
mind. If you want to devote some time in a phone conversation or email,
all the better -- the Data Center should work for you, and you have a
voice.

Depending on the outcome of the Data Center, I may want to present a
plan for my involvement involved with MCM-V in terms that preserve what
you want to do and the cost that you are looking for (~$50k).  This
should come around September or October.

cheers,
Inigo

Inigo San Gil
+1 505 277 2625