[LTER-luq] Agenda and other materials for Planning Meeting next week.

Jess Zimmerman jesskz at ites.upr.edu
Wed Jan 6 08:45:53 MST 2016

Dear All,

I attach materials for the upcoming Planning Meeting at El Verde. Please
look them over carefully.

This will be a fast-paced meeting as you will see from the agenda.  We need
to stay focused on the task of how and when we will implement what was laid
out in the most recent proposal.  I attach a first pass at a document to
outline the key tasks and their timing by Hypothesis(es). This can be used
to organize the results of the meeting.

I attach an additional key document which I have developed over meetings
during the past two or three months to organize our research into formal
Working Groups.  We have assigned group leaders who will lead the
discussion of each of the hypotheses or group of hypotheses. Additional
people have been assigned the role of helping the leaders (down the road).
This structure is not set in stone but should suffice for the meeting.
Additional honing can be done at the meeting.

In our discussions it was decided that additional research Working Groups
need to be developed out of "need areas" identified by the reviews, that
is, Conceptual Framework and Long-Term Data sets that inform our research
program.  Time has been set aside for formulating these groups.

Working Group Leaders need to be prepared at the meeting to:
1.  Review the Hypothesis(es) or need area and any relevant history
(briefly).
2.  Review what has been done in the past (if ongoing) and what specific
actions or decisions are needed to implement the research plan.
3.  Discuss personnel and other resources needed to implement the plan.

If this can be done in 15 minutes then there will be 45 minutes to 1:15 to
discuss remaining issues.

I have not set aside time for discussions of Information Management,
Education and Outreach as these aspects reviewed well in the last
proposal.  Nonetheless, Steven McGee and Eda Melendez will be in attendance
to provide their input.  Governance is an issue we will take up at the next
SEAC meeting to be discussed in full at the Annual Meeting in June.

Please note that I have invited Sharon Wallace, the new Forest Supervisor
at EYNF to join us for lunch on Tuesday.  She is already dealing with
permit issues for working in the Wildness Area and this would be a good
time to hear from her on these and other management issues related to our
site research.

As you can see, there is a lot to be accomplished. But, given all the work
that was put into the proposal we should be able to resolve a lot of
remaining issues with the time at hand.

I look forward to seeing you all,

jess

Jess K. Zimmerman
Professor
Lead PI, Luquillo LTER Program
Department Environmental Sciences
University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras
Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico

Direct Office Line: 787-350-0350
Or: 787-764-0000 ext. 1-XXXX-# where XXXX is:
   LTER Program Office: 2867
   El Verde Field Station: 4381
Mobile: 787-380-3311