[LTER-luq] IMPORTANT: Planning for Danny

Jess Zimmerman jesskz at ites.upr.edu
Fri Aug 21 07:30:05 MDT 2015

Luquettes,

Danny continues on a path indicating it is likely to interact with the
island early next week.  Let's say we are on "yellow alert."

Please let us know what pre-storm preparations are necessary ASAP. Please
send these to Sarah with a cc to me and she will collect the necessary
actions.  Assume for this exercise that we are going to have hurricane
winds of 75 mph or stronger, so the focus is on the effects of high winds
and not necessarily rain.

So far we have:

1.  Take down the malaise traps in CTE plots, from Paul.

Please add to the list, accordingly.  We will keep this list and update it
during the prep for future storms, so your time will not be wasted in
responding.

The forecast is now for a small storm reaching Puerto Rico with less than
hurricane force winds.  That forecast will change as there are many
dynamics affecting its course (a small turn over the weekend is crucial)
and strength (notoriously difficult to predict; influenced here by
increasing shear and dry air as it approaches PR), so we'll keep an eye on
things and note major changes.  You can follow the Discussion on the NHC
site if you want to follow with additional detail.

Please pass along your recommendations and thoughts on this.  Please "reply
all" with general discussion, but send recommendations for pre-storm
actions to Sarah and I only.   We will share the list as it develops.

jess

Jess K. Zimmerman
Professor
Lead PI, Luquillo LTER Program
Department Environmental Sciences
University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras
Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico

Direct Office Line: 787-350-0350
Or: 787-764-0000 ext. 1-XXXX-# where XXXX is:
   LTER Program Office: 2867
   El Verde Field Station: 4381
Mobile: 787-380-3311