[LTER-luq] It it isn't one thing . . .

djlodge at caribe.net djlodge at caribe.net
Thu Aug 20 03:11:27 MDT 2015

Hi all,

The models are now consistently predicting a pressure ridge to form that will steer Tropical Storm (or wave) Danny just to the south of Puerto Rico. Weather predictions
for Luquillo for Monday through Thursday next week on Weather Underground are only for about 4-6 cm. That's really good for us on water rationing, but it really won't
be enough to break the drought - the water deficit is much greater than that. There are some more tropical waves coming, however, so have to see what happens to
them.

The El Niño is expected to strengthen late Fall through early winter, which I assume is November through February. Thus, we may get a slight lull in the drought with
some rains for the next six to ten weeks, and then really dry for the following 4 months.

We had this pattern during the last El Niño - dry during the rainy season and rain during the dry season. Expect more of same.

Jean

Don't want Danny to hit as would like post drought LFDP census and longer time since Georges.
But
GREAT - new scenarios to follow.  Hurricanes after drought will mean less green litter deposition, less input to streams, likely less damage to trees as they are carrying
fewer leaves, but maybe more depending upon how much stress the drought has caused, different seedling dynamics.

Have we a plan of action?

When can we start the next LFDP census?

Best wishes to all.

Jill