[LTER-im] *TODAY* Fwd: March 8th VWC: Breakout Topics

Renee F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Mon Mar 8 09:23:00 PST 2021

Reminder of our monthly VWC happening later today. See you soon!

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Renée F. Brown" <rfbrown at unm.edu<mailto:rfbrown at unm.edu>>
Subject: March 8th VWC: Breakout Topics
Date: March 4, 2021 at 1:42:11 PM MST
To: LTER-IM <im at lternet.edu<mailto:im at lternet.edu>>

Good afternoon,

Our next monthly Virtual Water Cooler (VWC) is just around the corner, this coming Monday, March 8th @ 12p PT / 3p ET. This month we will be breaking out into smaller groups, this time focused around four topics that have been generating interest in our community. Please take a look at the topics in advance of the meeting and decide which topic is a) of most interest to you or b) one you can contribute the most to. Everyone will be allowed to select their room of choice and will be able to switch rooms at any time. Breakout sessions will last approximately 30 minutes, followed by a larger group discussion of key takeaways.

  *   Room 1 - Data citation & acknowledgement
     *   Sites have been asking researchers who use data from the site to acknowledge the site and the LTER grant number. But now that we have data citations with DOIs, we ask that they cite the data in the references. Is it necessary to do both? Discuss.
  *   Room 2 - Data latency issues, embargoes, lead times
     *   This topic was brought up during one of the Jan 2021 VWC breakout sessions. Discussion points: local embargoes (e.g., get data early, prep metadata, but don’t release till student near completion), embargo length, EDI embargoes, and how much lead time do you require to archive a non-core dataset at your site?
  *   Room 3 - How to make archived data more usable, specifically for K-12 lessons?
     *   E.g., Experience with Data Nuggets, coordination with site E&O rep(s), other strategies?
  *   Room 4 - Increasing graduate student/IM engagement
     *   E.g., Strategies across the LTER Network, what is working well, how can we improve?

Agenda:

  *   News and announcements (All, bring your good news!) ~8 min
  *   Sort into breakout rooms ~2 min
  *   Breakout rooms ~30 min
  *   Report out & discussion ~5 min / group

March VWC Connection Info:

  *   Date & Time: Monday, March 8th at 12p PT / 3p ET
  *   Zoom Link: https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/664969166
  *   Meeting ID: 664 969 166
  *   Dial by your location: https://ucsb.zoom.us/u/adFKUddBeU

On behalf of IM Exec,
Renée

—
Renée F. Brown (she/her)
Information Manager, McMurdo Dry Valleys LTER
University of New Mexico Department of Biology
Albuquerque, NM 87131 USA
rfbrown at unm.edu<mailto:rfbrown at unm.edu>

—