[LTER-im] bibliography update

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 7 10:10:42 PST 2019

Hi Tim,

Copying the rest of IM's to try and keep folks on the same page.

Tim asks:
If authors tag papers as NSF-LTER-XXX, then when I use Zotero Connector to
scrape the metadata it will include the tag NSF-LTER-XXX.  Then I would add
the tag LTER-XXX so that it works in your bibliography.  So I'll have both
tags NSF-LTER-XXX and LTER-XXX for that item in Zotero.  I just wanted to
make sure I'm interpreting the protocol correctly. I'm about to update my
website with instructions for PIs when they publish something and I want to
get it right.

As we've moved through this process, I've come to think that we probably
can't prescribe NSF-LTER-XXX for use in papers. I thought funding source
was actually a metadata entry for papers, but it seems that some databases
(Web of Science, particularly) scrape it from the text acknowledgements
section. It's not realistic to think that we will be able to get enough
people to use that exact formulation in a text section for it to be useful.

So please use LTER-XXX in the tag or keywords for your site database (for
those we are operating within the context of our own organization, so no
need to add the NSF). In paper acknowledgements, the safest recommendation
is to use both the name of the site(s) (including LTER, if it is an LTER
paper) *and* the grant number.

Thanks, Marty

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu