[LTER-im] Fw: EDI Hackathon announcement, 10-14 June 2019

SUSANNE GROSSMAN CLARKE grossmanclar at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 12 09:56:22 PDT 2019

________________________________
From: EDI <info at environmentaldatainitiative.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:54 AM
To: SUSANNE GROSSMAN CLARKE
Subject: EDI Hackathon announcement, 10-14 June 2019

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea/images/361158cf-9d2c-4721-8511-d371e4fb9b34.png]

The Environmental Data Initiative invites you to participate in the continuing development of the Information Management Code Registry<https://environmentaldatainitiative.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&id=64295c02ac&e=1202661e8d> with a hackathon at UNM in Albuquerque, NM on June 10 – June 14, 2019 (Monday, June 10 and Friday, June 14 are travel days).

All coders and wannabe coders who have at least some experience with R or Python and an interest in writing new code or contributing existing code to the Registry are invited to contact us. EDI will cover all travel, meal and lodging expenses.

The theme of this hackathon is “Data Visualization for Assessing Data Fitness for Use.” During this hackathon we will collaboratively develop applications that will accept as input an EML document  along with a dataset (a complete data package) and will output visualizations of the data. We may approach this problem in a couple of different ways:

  1.  As a starting point, the application could produce a web page that shows all variables plotted against each other.

  2.  We could analyze the set of terms used in the corpus of EDI metadata to label “datetime” variables, or variables designating treatments, or other common categorical  variables, and make the application “smart” enough to use these variables appropriately as X axis variables.

  3.  We could develop a web page that reads the EML document and outputs all the variables in the dataset to the web page, from which the user could choose variables to plot on X and Y axes. Categorical variables could be selected for the X axis for bar graphs, for instance. The web page would then produce the desired plots.

The plots returned by any of these mechanisms will allow a user to see outliers, large gaps in the data, and other issues that affect the dataset's fitness for reuse for a particular purpose.

While code development is the primary goal of this workshop, we also aim to build a community that supports the idea of sharing code and enabling information managers to work more efficiently.

We plan to bring together 10 coders who represent a range of disciplines in the environmental sciences.

Interested? Then please apply by 31 March, 2019 through the application here<https://environmentaldatainitiative.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&id=745ec9a8ee&e=1202661e8d>.

Participation acceptance information: April 12, 2019

Questions?  Please contact us at info at environmentaldatainitiative.org.

Copyright © 2019 Environmental Data Initiative, All rights reserved.
You were added to the EDI contact list because you expressed interest in hearing from us.

Our mailing address is:
Environmental Data Initiative
Center for Limnology - University of Wisconsin
680 North Park Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

Add us to your address book<https://environmentaldatainitiative.us14.list-manage.com/vcard?u=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&id=da346b264c>

You can update your preferences<https://environmentaldatainitiative.us14.list-manage.com/profile?u=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&id=da346b264c&e=1202661e8d> or unsubscribe from this list<https://environmentaldatainitiative.us14.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&id=da346b264c&e=1202661e8d&c=61aa65ca5f>

[Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&afl=1>