[LTER-im] Fwd: LTER role definitions

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 21 10:50:04 PST 2019

Dear LTER PI's and IM's--

Gary asks a question below which suggests we need some additional
clarification on personnel spreadsheets for the 40 year review data. The
"LTER role" field should be interpreted as "role with respect to your LTER
site" (as opposed to a university-conferred title). Please include under
"investigator," everyone doing research at the site who isn't listed in
another more specific category--whether funded by LTER or not.

The LTER-funded field is intended to capture some modest indication of the
funding relationship (full, partial, none) -- since those are also quite
complex.

"Interested Party" was intended to capture people who may be important to
the site, but who aren't doing research. At the Network level, that would
be the leadership of related networks or organizations (Teresa Mourad, who
runs the SEEDS program at ESA or Tim White who directs the  CZO Network,
for example). At your site, it might be resource managers or education
partners who you consider to be associated with the site, but who aren't
doing research (and who wouldn't, therefore, fit under the other
categories).

Thanks, Marty