[LTER-im] [LTER-lpi] Fwd: LTER role definitions

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 22 11:35:53 PST 2019

Hi all,
I'm sharing the clarifications below as it seems that others may have
similar questions. Cheers, Marty

different  practices at so many sites, but we are trying not to let the
perfect be the enemy of the good.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 10:29 AM Anne Giblin <agiblin at mbl.edu> wrote:

> Hi Marty,
>
>      I am sure this is getting old for you but I have some questions bout
> the data the committee is requesting.
>

> 1) On our annual reports we have "collaborating organizations".  This is
> where I put things like some of the NGOs we work with for education and
> similar stuff and some of the management agencies.   Because of this I have
> never included specific individuals from these organization in personnel.
> So to use your example below,  ESA  would be a collaborating organization
> through SEEDS but Teresa would not show up.    I guess you could say this
> doesn't matter but for some of the NGO's where chairs and presidents change
> every year or so the list would get very long.  Similarly, for the Parker
> River Fish and Wildlife Refuge the person I deal with is the wildlife
> biologist but should the manager be listed instead?  It seems you will
> capture this under section on partnerships to I guess I'm wondering if we
> really want these individuals listed at all?

Including the organization as a partner will carry more weight than
including the individual as an "interested party" and is a fine way to
handle it. I included the category as a place to put people who have a
direct relationship with the site, but who really don't fit in other ways
(and because I know there are a number of them out there).

>   2) The second issue is the extra information you requested regarding
> gender.  For at least the last 5 years, maybe longer, NSF no longer had us
> collect this information our selves.  Instead NSF sent an e-mail requesting
> it and it does not show up in the annual reports.  So I don't know the
> genders of the participants.  Shouldn't NSF just query their data base for
> this information?

Leave gender blank. If you have PhD year, please include it. One would
think that NSF had that information, but they they can't access it in a way
that is useful for this purpose. We'll be moving all of this to a new
database. I'll just make the inquiry directly for all the active members
once that's done.

>   3)   Finally, for participants, to confirm,  you only want the more
> detailed info for 2008 and onward correct?  We won't delete the older
> participants as you requested and might add someone in if they are
> obviously missing but want to keep this reasonable and not worry about
> thesis dates and the like for the older ones.

Yes, 2008 and onward. Thanks.

> 4)  Now on to leveraging,  the spread sheet seemed simple enough until I
> looked down on the added instructions on adding in FTEs.  The first issue
> is the sheet does not seem to be set up for this.  Second,  If I was on the
> grant I could do this for you, but for an outside person who had a
> collaborating grant I have no idea of their personnel breakdown.  I'd have
> to ask each PI for this.    And they are not going to want to send me their
> budget either (as that would show salaries) so they'd have do extract this
> information for me.   This seems like a huge amount of work.  (also only
> back to 2008?)

Sorry -- we changed that request a while ago. There is an updated
spreadsheet on the website. (https://lternet.edu/
2019-site-information-request/, with the password 40Y1nf0 or get there
directly with this link:
https://lternet.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/LTER-leveraging-template-revised.xlsx)
This did go out in an email, but I know there were a lot of them flying
around.

In terms of data, we are only asking for a list of related grants with the
awarded amount. We added a narrative section on the site brief to describe
(in a somewhat more flexible way) leveraged personnel and facilities.

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu