[LTER-im] Deprecation of Network Solutions *.lternet.edu SSL certificate...

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 23 08:09:53 PDT 2019

Dear all,
The NCO switched over to Let's Encrypt a good while ago and it's been
pretty painless. Whatever you are using for encryption on your own servers,
we do need to coordinate to ensure that  you can use XXX.lternet.edu as
your web site alias.

Nick Outin (copied here) is the sysad for NCEAS and your main point of
contact for making sure that our CNAME is included in your DNS and vice
versa.

Thanks, Marty

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 8:56 PM Mark Servilla <mark.servilla at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear IM,
>
> In short, if you are not dependent on or do not use the Network Solutions
> provided *.lternet.edu SSL certificate made available through EDI in any
> way, then you may safely ignore this email. If you do use this certificate,
> please continue reading.
>
> With the recent upgrade of PASTA+ servers (see here:
> https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/2019/04/22/edi-repository-system-upgrades/),
> EDI's use of the Network Solutions generated *.lternet.edu SSL
> certificate is being deprecated in favor of certificates provisioned by
> LetsEncrypt. As such, EDI will no longer renew the Network Solutions *.
> lternet.edu certificate, which is scheduled to expire on 22 October 2019.
> We believe the service provided by LetsEncrypt fully meets our Internet
> security needs, and it is free of cost. Initial setup and installation of
> the LetsEncrypt certificate is only marginally more complicated than the
> use of traditional certificates (if at all), and there exist many
> LetsEncrypt tutorials on the Internet for a variety of host operating
> systems, including Ubuntu 18.04 (
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-secure-nginx-with-let-s-encrypt-on-ubuntu-18-04).
> To re-emphasize, EDI will not renew the Network Solutions *.lternet.edu
> SSL certificate, so please plan accordingly if you use this certificate. We
> will be glad to assist you to the best of our ability if you do decide to
> use LetsEncrypt provisioned certificates - just let us know. Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Mark
>
> ---
> Mark Servilla
> mark.servilla at gmail.com

Marty Downs (she/her/hers)
Deputy Director, LTER Network Communications Office

https://lternet.edu

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu