[LTER-im] Deprecation of Network Solutions *.lternet.edu SSL certificate...

Mark Servilla mark.servilla at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 20:55:20 PDT 2019

Dear IM,

In short, if you are not dependent on or do not use the Network Solutions
provided *.lternet.edu SSL certificate made available through EDI in any
way, then you may safely ignore this email. If you do use this certificate,
please continue reading.

With the recent upgrade of PASTA+ servers (see here:
https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/2019/04/22/edi-repository-system-upgrades/),
EDI's use of the Network Solutions generated *.lternet.edu SSL certificate
is being deprecated in favor of certificates provisioned by LetsEncrypt. As
such, EDI will no longer renew the Network Solutions *.lternet.edu
certificate, which is scheduled to expire on 22 October 2019. We believe
the service provided by LetsEncrypt fully meets our Internet security
needs, and it is free of cost. Initial setup and installation of the
LetsEncrypt certificate is only marginally more complicated than the use of
traditional certificates (if at all), and there exist many LetsEncrypt
tutorials on the Internet for a variety of host operating systems,
including Ubuntu 18.04 (
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-secure-nginx-with-let-s-encrypt-on-ubuntu-18-04).
To re-emphasize, EDI will not renew the Network Solutions *.lternet.edu SSL
certificate, so please plan accordingly if you use this certificate. We
will be glad to assist you to the best of our ability if you do decide to
use LetsEncrypt provisioned certificates - just let us know. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mark

---
Mark Servilla