[LTER-im] TIMELY ACTION REQUIRED: Personnel and Site information databases

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jun 16 15:13:36 PDT 2017

Dear LTER information managers and management teams--

With new personnel coming on board for the summer and new proposals now
funded, it's time to update the personnel and site information for your
LTER. Please review your site information by *June 23* and update your
personnel information by *June 30. *We are beginning a redesign of the web
site and will need to freeze updates for about 2 months after that.

*Personnel updates*
Please take a look at your personnel list here: https://dbadmin2.
lternet.edu/admin/
and add, deactivate, or update individuals as needed. If you find you don't
have adequate permissions or need to move someone from a different site,
please drop me a line. For the moment, please don't use the tech-support
email address.

*Email lists:*
LPI, im-rep, edu-rep, grad-rep, and student lists are role-based and will
update automatically when people are added to those categories.

site-exec, im, education, investigators, and other committee and
interest-group lists are updated manually. If you need to add people to any
of those lists, (site-exec is the most likely) please let me know.

Most sites have already moved their local (site-specific) email lists off
of the lternet mailman system to enhance local control. If you have -- and
no longer want to use the the lternet mailling system for that purpose,
please let me know and we'll archive and shut down those lists.

If you don't have a good local option for maintaining site-specific lists,
we can maintain a limited number of lists for your site, but let's confer
to see what is actually being used and what is vestigial.

*lternet.edu <http://lternet.edu> personal addresses*
We are no longer planning to maintain personal email addresses through
lternet.edu (i.e. personname at lternet.edu). There are very few of these
remaining, but if you know of anyone who may still be using an lternet
address for their email, please alert them to the change (and let me know
about them so I can coordinate).

*Site information updates:*
Since approximately 2013, SiteDB has been maintained on an old and
out-of-date server and has not been updating the lternet web site as it was
originally intended. This has caused a great deal of confusion and
divergence of information, with one set of information being maintained in
siteDB (see http://sites.lternet.edu) and a (sometimes different) set of
information maintained and displayed on the lternet.edu web site (see
https://lternet.edu/lter-sites).

With a web site redesign getting underway, the NCO intends  to focus on a
limited set of site information that can be maintained within the lternet
web site (itself a MySQL database) -- ultimately giving site information
managers direct access to update that information once the web site is
complete.

For the purposes of the redesign freeze, please check the information
displayed on your site profile (linked here: https://lternet.edu/lter-sites)
and let me know about any corrections *by June 23*.

The ultimate disposition of SiteDB will be addressed in a formal request
for comments, which will be jointly issued by EDI and NCO within the next
few weeks.

Thanks,
Marty

--