[LTER-im] LTER Data Access Policy Request for Comments

Wade Sheldon sheldon at uga.edu
Wed Apr 12 10:37:15 PDT 2017

Corinna and all,

I discussed the issue with our site exec and they are also in favor of
CC-BY, and we will be implementing that policy in GCE metadata.

I think defaulting to CC-0 with the proposed general statement of
expectations is acceptable if no rights are explicitly stated, but only
if contributors are made aware of this practice before submitting
metadata/data.

However, I would ultimately like to see NSF step in and help us
interpret the disparate policy guidance from DEB, OCE and POL. For
example, when the allowed embargo period is over, do the original
investigators really have any say over how the data are used, or are
they public domain? That would certainly be in the spirit of the open
science initiatives Federal agencies are expected to operate under. Also
in other communities like genetics/genomics there are no rights once
data are archived. So this lack of clarity is the reason we keep coming
back to these policy discussions and can never put the issue behind us.
Considering the broad implications for software development and
repositories, I really think this should be nailed down once and for
all. Just wishful thinking, though.

Wade