[LTER-im] Address info in metadata?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 5 14:03:56 PDT 2017

We've never had any complaints at NCEAS or via DataONE.  I think this is
because, in general, people don't include their personal information in EML
records.  Instead, they include their business information, such as their
departmental name, email, address, and phone.  This information is
generally publicly accessible already through most university web sites
(including, for example, UVA's listing for John Porter
<http://www.virginia.edu/search/site/john%20porter>). Libraries are
(rightfully) concerned with releasing personal information (such as
people's home addresses), for both contributors and patrons. The whole
point of an EML record is to expose professional information for both
credit and future contacts, and personally I don't see an issue.  Plus, EML
authors are in full control of what information they submit, and are able
to exclude anything they deem to be sensitive information.

Regards,
Matt