[LTER-im] Address info in metadata?

John Porter jhp7e at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Apr 5 13:40:19 PDT 2017

In preparation for a seminar, I was looking at the local UVA library
data archive (which uses Harvard's "Dataverse" software).  I was struck
by their strong emphasis on not sharing personally identifiable
information, which by their standards included full names, phone
numbers, email addresses etc.. (see
http://www.library.virginia.edu/libra/datasets/public-dataset-license/
for the full info) - many of which are included in the "Party" elements
of EML.

The metadata display on PASTA only gives names and possibly a link to
email, but the full addresses, phone numbers etc. seem often to be
included in the underlying EML that I have browsed for several sites.....

I'm curious if anyone has had concerns expressed by researchers or
institutions regarding what we should, or should not, put in our
metadata......

Thanks!

  -John Porter

--