[LTER-im-rep] Organizational considerations re: LTER NIMO

Philip Tarrant philip.tarrant at asu.edu
Mon Jan 25 08:24:01 MST 2016

Dear colleagues,

Now that the NIMO proposal has been submitted, and on the assumption it will be funded, we want to start thinking about the future of our existing IM organization.

When we originally defined the NIMO we drafted the concept of a Governance Board/Operations Committee that would oversee and guide NIMO operations. This is the model used in the proposal and we have the commitment of the EB to find us our scientist (3) representation. One of the things we envisaged was that this new entity might supersede some of our existing organization and the time has come to discuss this idea in more detail. The two committees that this Operations Committee overlaps most significantly are NISAC and IM Exec, and while we do not have the authority to dissolve NISAC (we can, of course, recommend changes), we would like to explore the relevance of these two committees in conjunction with the new organization.

Please "reply all" to this e-mail and share your thoughts with the full IMC, so that we can have a more complete discussion at next week's VTCs. As a reminder, the watercoolers will be on Monday, February 1, 3PM EST and Tuesday, February 2, 12PM EST. If you haven't already signed up you will find the Doodle poll here:

http://doodle.com/poll/4dv8na97p7bwwm43

I look forward to an interesting dialog over the next few days.

Regards,
Philip Tarrant
Director, Informatics and Technology | Senior Sustainability Scientist
Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability | Arizona State University
  Sustainable data - use, preserve, re-use