[LTER-im-rep] Organizational considerations re: LTER NIMO

Remillard, Suzanne suzanne.remillard at oregonstate.edu
Fri Jan 29 13:23:02 MST 2016

Hi Philip and others,

I have been thinking about this and Don and I had a conversation earlier in the week.  Today is Theresa's last day of week and things have been pretty hectic around here.  We're sure going to miss her!

I wanted to make some comments prior to the VWC's next week.  I'm not 100% sure where the current documents are located, if there are any. So, I'm going off of material dated prior to our IM meeting. I have to say that it sure seems like the Operations Committee (OC) will replace the nebulous tasks of NISAC.  NISAC really had no authority, was purely advisory and as PASTA came into the picture, it's role was sort of redefined.  I would think that the representation of scientists and IMs on this OC are really going to be providing the input that NISAC would have provided and seems to be a duplication in efforts.  Plus, we likely don't have enough volunteers to serve on more than one committee.

On the other hand, I feel that IMEXEC is still a valuable and needed committee.  There are things that IMEXEC would do that are not covered by the OC, like organizing annual meetings, working groups that haven't quite made the radar of OC (developing the 'service requests').  The TOR may need to be amended because roles and function will likely change somewhat.

Do others see it differently?

Thanks, Suzanne