[LTER-im-rep] IMC Watercooler - November

Inigo San Gil isangil at lternet.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:09:04 MST 2015

Some comments -

I would say that for the Mon and Tue conversations, it would be best to
summarize what do we really need from the new data center, including
some of the legacy, and what additions we long for.  The spreadsheet is
too limiting to legacy stuff, and Im afraid, that when presented as
brief as it is below, I get the feeling that the transition roadmap is
that of continuity of minimums, something we agree it would not be the
case.   I would suggest we keep that spreadsheet for historical
purposes, and let's do a fresh survey (too late for tomorrow).

What matters? For LTER what matters is to stay relevant in the face of
rapidly evolving technologies. The LTER network has now new ways at our
disposal to address some long unresolved IT challenges.  We could also
address storage challenges, hosting and services.  We can layout new
ways to collaborate and act as a network, and in the process of doing
so, we will be more efficient, reduce the amount of redundant work in
our network, and have our people work on what they can do best. That is
a transition that is exciting.

A transition should not just mean "move this server over here, update
this software and, btw, who can host LDAP". While those are things that
should be consider, it should be a deeper analysis on where we want to
be a year from now, and then sometime beyond that. Furthermore,
presenting EB with tech decisions is not as valuable as presenting with
a vision of what do we want to offer to LTER, how is that beneficial and
what do we need to get there. We did some work before the ASM, some
during the IM meeting, but some details still need to be worked out.
Perhaps this is what you mean, but I cannot really distil this message
from the email below -- and, If we just go for the minimum effort, we
will end up in worse shape in a year from now that in the (relative) bad
shape we are now.   We do not want that, do we?

Finally, just to reiterate what I told the current LNO and others, I can
also help with legacy stuff - i am on site, and I know some of it, and
know what door to knock in case of doubt.

Cheers, Inigo