[LTER-im-rep] LTER ASM

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 21 14:23:48 MDT 2015

Hi Mark -
Here are two docs. There are context and disclaimers for each. That
context needs to be kept with the docs - without it, they could be
misleading or misunderstood. I forwarded a note to IMExec about your
attending the IMC (we meet on Sunday, Aug 30), and there are other
breakouts till Wednesday.

Margaret

1. 2015-04-06_IMExec_report_LNO_transition_services.pdf
  is the summary I mentioned the other day.
Context: the IM Committee (IMC) wanted to highlight for the LTER
Executive Board (EB) what would be the effects on the individual
operations of the sites themselves if certain services from the LNO
simply disappeared. The IMC has been the primary point of contact with
the LNO, and site IMs are the ones who will bear the burden locally if
things fall apart. The thought was that knowledge of how sites used
certain services would be required in order to set priorities for
continuity, and that this sort of activity would be required for other
types of LNO services as well.

What this doc is not:
- It is not a complete list of everything the UNM LNO did. It has
nothing about synthesis groups, outreach, student groups, or the effects
on any committee other than the IMC. Nor does it talk about
network-level web sites or mail lists.
- There is no info here about what it would take to actually transfer or
maintain any service.

I don't know what other transition docs might exist. The UNM-LNO
received some supplement funds for transition, and that is mentioned in
this doc. But I never saw that text; the references to it were added by
James Brunt and Bob Waide.

2. 2015-07-09_LTERNetworkDataCenter_summary.pdf
This is a draft summary which described the ideas (as of early July) for
a new data management operation to replace the existing LNO model. We
shared it with Saran Twombly and Peter Groffman who have distributed it
to site PIs and others.

The ideas have evolved a bit with time and further discussion. But we do
have broad agreement that a model such as this could be developed as an
effective alternative to the old structure.  As of now, we're working on
a longer proposal narrative.

As you will be able to tell, the focus of "data center" work has been
only on aspects of network-level research-data only -- and not on other
technology, websites, or administrative data.  But the organizational
structure is expandable to those areas -- with planning and if given
adequate funding.

I am also attaching 2 figures, that are more recent than what's in doc #2.
3. NIMO_organizational_relationships_model2v1.pdf (the current org-chart)

4. Stacked_venn-layered_services.pdf (current scope of operations).

Margaret O'Brien
Information Management
Santa Barbara Coastal LTER
Marine Science Institute, UCSB