[LTER-hbr-im] Hubbard Brook LTER Data Use Notification and Acknowledgement Request

Sarah Cusser sarah.cusser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 07:16:31 PST 2020

*Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest LTER*

234 Mirror Lake Road

North Woodstock, NH 03262 USA

Dear Hubbard Brook LTER Information Manager,

                  Recently, coauthors Jackson Helms IV, Christie Bahlai,
Nick M. Haddad and I submitted the manuscript “How long do population level
field experiments need to be?  Repurposing data from the 40-year old LTER
network” to be published as original research in *Ecology Letters*. *Included
in the analysis is data repurposed from your LTER. *Please find a draft of
the manuscript attached to this email.

In our study, we sought to determine what aspects of study taxa or
environment alter the duration of research necessary to detect consistent
results in long term research. We leveraged the wealth of data available
through the forty-year-old Long-term Ecological Research database network
portal to identify and repurpose relevant long-term experimental datasets. Our
search resulted in 100 datasets from 28 distinct studies and 12 LTER sites.
We were interested in the consistency of trends over time, rather than in
the trends themselves. In this way, our manuscript is a novel use of your
data, and makes no claims about the ecological implications of the trends
we found.  In the manuscript, we explicitly warn that ecological results
taken from individual datasets should be interpreted with a degree of
caution.

We are distributing the manuscript to LTER sites from which the data was
retrieved with two primary goals:* 1) notification and consent of dataset
use, and 2) in the interest of correctly acknowledging authors and
appropriate funding sources.* Below is the citation we plan to use:

Hamburg, S. 2019. Gastropod abundance at Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest,
Watershed 1 and West of Watershed 6, 1997-2006 ver 4. Environmental Data
Initiative. https://doi.org/10.6073/pasta/7ab1863e56f8cc823b3c7f966bc8f43d
(Accessed 2020-12-14).

Please respond to this email with modifications and/or additions or if you
see our use of these data in conflict with yours. We ask you to *include
specific funding or grant numbers* that you would like acknowledged.  To
meet the deadline recommended by our reviewers, the turnaround must be
rapid. We expect to resubmit the manuscript no later than *Monday Jan 18th
2021 *and apologize for the short notice. Please acknowledge receipt of
this email, and let us know.

Sincerely,

Sarah Cusser, PhD

Post-Doctoral Fellow