[LTER-education] Time-Lapse Citizen Science Tool

Baird, Cora Ann Johnston (caj2dr) coraj at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 4 13:43:28 PST 2021

Some students at VCR are working on launching a community science/observation program, and I've started thinking that their model might scale nicely into a cross-network initiative. I've tried to summarize some key ideas below. Please let me know if you'd like explore this at your site. If enough sites are interested, I'll coordinate a call.

Thanks,
Cora

The Model
Use observation stations outfitted through Chronolog<https://www.chronolog.io/about> to collect photos of a key ecosystem over time. Select observation locations that can contribute to answering research questions while remaining accessible to the public. Photos will feed into an automated outward-facing time-lapse and be used for data extraction.

Benefit to LTER
The image data will become a long-term data set and will be designed to intersect with our existing LT data sets (e.g. as predictors of the patterns observed in photos). This will provide long-term data that can be used by LTER researchers or in education programming.

Benefit to the Community
This type of passive, community-based ecosystem monitoring provides community members exposure to the type of work being done by the LTER. It also encourages community members to participate in research. Image processes and data analysis will involve high school, REU, and graduate students and RET participants. The time-lapse provides a compelling documentation of local changes.

Potential as a cross-site initiative
Signature landscape - research and engagement
Capture a characteristic landscape from each site, showing the diversity of systems covered by the network; including a driving question (or two) associated with each system would also provide a sample of the kinds of questions addressed by our sites
Time-lapse conveys the long-term aspect of our work
Look to include a simple dynamic that can be extracted from imagery and linked with LT data sets (predictive parameters, likely) for research or educational exploration (e.g. phenology from photos connected to meteorological data)
Automated outreach/observation tool
Much like our various webcams, use this as a way to collect and share parallel observations over time
Benefit = pre-curated for public sharing (the time-lapse is automatic; only the data needs to be processed)
Time-lapses or data from multiple sites could be shared in multiple places (site website, network website, etc)
Potential to become a long-term data set by extracting information from images (e.g. phenology, cover)
Core research areas of disturbance, organic matter movement, population dynamics, and primary production (and landcover change and human-environment interactions) each have the potential to be documented or examined via photos over time
Comparison
Setting up across sites provides an opportunity to make comparisons across landscapes
Also provides a route to display our varied research questions (theme/focus)
>From image to data
Support data literacy and provide data ‘collection’ opportunity when field work is not feasible
Open-source tools
Using the Google suite, ImageJ, and others should make data processing accessible to anyone
Leveraging → the Chronolog tool is more affordable* for each site if we coordinate across the network; they are interested in partnering with us (and willing to find ways to make it financially feasible if we get multiple sites involved)
*Base price for a single camera bracket with sign and all of the processing supports is $200.

Cora A. (Johnston) Baird, PhD
Site Director

She/her

E coraj at virginia.edu
P 757.620.7016

University of Virginia
Virginia Coast Reserve LTER
Anheuser-Busch Coastal Research Center
6364 Cliffs Road
Cape Charles, VA 23310

ABCRC: https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/<https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/><https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/>

LTER: www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/home2/<https://www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/home2/>

"Science is the process that takes us from confusion to understanding in a manner that's precise, predictive and reliable - a transformation, for those lucky enough to experience it, that is empowering and emotional.  We must embark on a cultural shift that places science in its rightful place...as an indispensable part of what makes life worth living."   -B. Greene

[University of Virginia]<http://www.virginia.edu/>

[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/WildCora>