[LTER-commcom] NCO web site and update

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jul 12 13:52:53 MDT 2016

LTER sites supply the data for the bibliography. What I don't know is
whether individual web sites then access the LTER bibliography database
dynamically to display their site bibliographies on their own web sites.
It's possible -- and has advantages. I just don't know how many sites are
doing it.

Jonathan -- I'm curious if you have any data on what percentage of your
site visitors are coming from edu domains v other domains?
Marty

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Jonathan Walsh <
walshjcaryinstitute at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Regarding a consistent web page design....A shared design (at least an
>> optional one) is definitely under consideration as we grapple with the
>> lternet redesign. I
>> I think there are a couple of considerations in trying to design (and
>> sell) such a system:
>>
>> 1) Many sites are embedded in institutions that have their own design and
>> branding considerations. Is our goal to accommodate those or to give sites
>> ammunition to push back? It probably depends on how valuable that branding
>> is to the site and vice versa.
>>
>> 2) Some sites have abundant resources (both skills and funds) to put into
>> a web site. Others struggle to maintain a basic web site. We need a system
>> that smooths the road for the latter, without tying the hands of the former.
>>
>> 3) I am unsure about how (and how much) much individual sites use the
>> database connections. Are they drawing on the biblio database to maintain
>> their publication lists? Is that something they value? What about
>> personnelDB for staff lists? A common design would make database
>> connections easier, but might give sites less control over how they display
>> or how they include additional people on their personnel lists.
>>
>> Here's what I'm thinking at the moment -- and I welcome your input on
>> this. If you've been pushing on this for a while, then I'm sure you've
>> bumped up against other counter arguments and I'd love to hear those so we
>> can shape a program that works as well as possible for as many as possible.
>>
>> It's possible to do a multi-site installation of either Drupal or
>> Wordpress so that sites could start with the same basic template and modify
>> it from there. That would offer a significant "nudge" toward consistency
>> (and a significant head start for new and resource-poor sites) without
>> tying the hands of resource-rich sites.
>>
>> If we phased it in gradually, as sites are doing their own redesigns
>> anyway, it could be managed without too much negative impact on the web
>> administrators. (I don't think I can force a web-redesign, which is a major
>> investment of site effort on my timetable.) If it were accompanied by a
>> modest set of graphic and style standards, we could get a decent level of
>> consistency without completely stifling creativity.
>>
>> Just how I'm thinking about it at the moment. We have yet to get our web
>> developer on board, but I'm starting on an RFP for the lternet redesign
>> anyway. We'll need that whether we end up going with an in-house developer
>> or an outside firm for the redesign.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marty
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Nicholas Oehm Jr <oehmn at fiu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Marty.
>>>
>>> Looks good!  Only thing missing is one digit in the phone number at the
>>> top of the page.
>>>
>>> Any chance we will come up with a consistent webpage design for all
>>> sites to use?  I have been advocating for many years to have consistent

>>> Nick

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu