[LTER-commcom] NCO web site and update

Jonathan Walsh walshjcaryinstitute at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:42:05 MDT 2016

With regard to the bibliography database, doesn't that database draw from
the sites?  It used to be that we would populate the LTER bibliography
database by sending a delimited file of our publications list.  This is
fine with us because we have our own publication tracking here and we just
export the delimited file.

It sounds like the goal is for very consistent website look and feel across
all the LTER sites.  Like you say, this could probably be accomplished
while still allowing some individuality.  In the case of BES --- an urban
study --- the non-scientific public is a significant percentage of the
viewers.  And like you say, it would be helpful to sites with little www
resources (and little need for public outreach) so a multi-site Drupal or
Wordpress might be very helpful.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Marty Downs <downs at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Dear Commcom--
> I started the e-mail below in response to Nick's inquiry, but by the time
> I finished, thought it would be useful to share with the whole committee.
> As always, thoughts and feedback welcome.
> Marty
>
> Hi Nick,
> Good catch, thanks!
>
> Regarding a consistent web page design....A shared design (at least an
> optional one) is definitely under consideration as we grapple with the
> lternet redesign. I
> I think there are a couple of considerations in trying to design (and
> sell) such a system:
>
> 1) Many sites are embedded in institutions that have their own design and
> branding considerations. Is our goal to accommodate those or to give sites
> ammunition to push back? It probably depends on how valuable that branding
> is to the site and vice versa.
>
> 2) Some sites have abundant resources (both skills and funds) to put into
> a web site. Others struggle to maintain a basic web site. We need a system
> that smooths the road for the latter, without tying the hands of the former.
>
> 3) I am unsure about how (and how much) much individual sites use the
> database connections. Are they drawing on the biblio database to maintain
> their publication lists? Is that something they value? What about
> personnelDB for staff lists? A common design would make database
> connections easier, but might give sites less control over how they display
> or how they include additional people on their personnel lists.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking at the moment -- and I welcome your input on
> this. If you've been pushing on this for a while, then I'm sure you've
> bumped up against other counter arguments and I'd love to hear those so we
> can shape a program that works as well as possible for as many as possible.
>
> It's possible to do a multi-site installation of either Drupal or
> Wordpress so that sites could start with the same basic template and modify
> it from there. That would offer a significant "nudge" toward consistency
> (and a significant head start for new and resource-poor sites) without
> tying the hands of resource-rich sites.
>
> If we phased it in gradually, as sites are doing their own redesigns
> anyway, it could be managed without too much negative impact on the web
> administrators. (I don't think I can force a web-redesign, which is a major
> investment of site effort on my timetable.) If it were accompanied by a
> modest set of graphic and style standards, we could get a decent level of
> consistency without completely stifling creativity.
>
> Just how I'm thinking about it at the moment. We have yet to get our web
> developer on board, but I'm starting on an RFP for the lternet redesign
> anyway. We'll need that whether we end up going with an in-house developer
> or an outside firm for the redesign.
>
> Thanks,
> Marty

> [...]

Jonathan Walsh
Information Manager, Baltimore Ecosystem Study
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Box AB; Route 44A
Millbrook, NY 12545-0129
P: 845/677/7600 Extension 103