[LTER-usiltercom] Fwd: Draft ILTER letter to U.S. sites

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sat Jun 8 14:27:04 PDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mark Ohman <mohman at ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, Jun 7, 2019, 10:17 AM
Subject: Draft ILTER letter to U.S. sites
To: <usiltercom at lists.lternet.edu>, Bill McDowell ILTER USA <
bill.mcdowell at unh.edu>, Marty Downs <downs at nceas.ucsb.edu>

Bill and Tiffany-
During our last conference call I volunteered to draft a letter for our
committee to send to US sites (site exec?) inquiring about existing
formal agreements between the U.S. Network and international partners.
In the draft below I added an inquiry about site-level agreements.

But having drafted this, I find it somewhat embarrassing to admit that
we don't have corporate memory of existing network-level agreements.  I
believe Marty said she did due diligence in seeking information on this
subject and didn't get a full response from Bob Waide.  Also, the MOU
with the CNRS expired in either late 2017 or early 2018, so, to my
knowledge, even that one is not currently in effect.  This leads to the
question:  would it be better to seek information only on the individual
site-level formal agreements?

Sincerely,
Mark O.

                                                        -------- DRAFT
----------------

Dear Site Exec,

The International LTER Committee (of the U.S. LTER Network) would like
to ask for your help.   We seek to identify existing MOUs (Memoranda of
Understanding) or other formal agreements between the U.S. LTER network
and partner programs abroad.  We are aware of the MOU signed with the
French CNRS in 2012 (thanks to the extensive work of Patrick Bourgeron,
and the leadership of Scott Collins).  We don't know if there are others.

In addition, it would be useful for us to know of other formal
agreements (MOUs, or Cooperative Agreements) that your specific LTER
site may have with other sites internationally.  This information would
help us direct our efforts in ways that will be most beneficial to the
U.S. Network.  It would also afford us an opportunity to highlight for
the ILTER community ongoing international engagements at your site, most
immediately at the ILTER meeting in Leipzig this September.

Please note that individual scientist-to-scientist collaborations (of
which there are many) are not the subject here, rather we are asking
about more formal site-level and network-level sustained cooperation.

Thank you for informing us,
                                                      --------  DRAFT