[LTER-sbc_help] Earth Day Message from HBRF

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Mon Apr 22 11:32:22 PDT 2019

 An Earth Day Message from HBRF My colleagues and I at HBRF have front-row seats for one of the world's most exciting and influential ecosystem studies. In addition to science communication and public outreach, HBRF staff help to organize the annual summer meeting of Hubbard Brook's cooperators. At this gathering, nearly 200 researchers share project results spanning a wide variety of topics, from molecules and microbes to animals and the atmosphere. I and my co-workers ensure proper care and feeding of this lively, coffee-addicted bunch, then sit back and watch the scientific sparks fly. I look forward to this two-day event all year. The science is nothing short of dazzling, but my favorite moment happens during lunch when participants obligingly form a long, snaky line from Hubbard Brook headquarters, down the grassy hill, to the tent where they assemble their sandwiches, buffet-style. The line is a mash-up of scientists of every stripe and stage (U.S. Forest Service, university faculty, students, citizens). They stand shoulder to shoulder, covered in black fly bites, and brimming with ideas. The composition, conversation, and creative energy bubbling up and down this line fill me with hope. It is a dynamic representation of our pipeline to a future of scientific solutions. These are people of talent and integrity. I trust them, and I have no doubt that their collaborative spirit and collective wisdom have the power to inform smart environmental policy. Thank you for believing in this work. Sincerely, Anthea Lavallee HBRF Executive Director  Click here to make a contribution.. Established in 1993, the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to bridging the gaps between science and society through education, communication, and public outreach on behalf of Hubbard Brook. Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | About our service provider Sent by alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org in collaboration with Try it free today