[LTER-sbc_all] Fwd: Daniel Ellis's IGPMS Exit seminar - Thursday, March 10 at 1 pm

Jenny Dugan jenny.dugan at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 8 15:37:08 MST 2016

Hi,

Great opportunity to hear about Daniel's glider research this Thursday at 1 pm.

Jenny

 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Hello Everyone,

I will be giving an exit seminar on this Thursday, March 10 at 1:00 pm in the Marine Science Auditorium. If you don't know what my research is about, please read the abstract below. If you can't make the talk, then you should still come to the reception (with food and beer) afterward. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Daniel

Abstract:

Underwater gliders are a type of autonomous vehicle that collect profiles of temperature, salinity, current velocity, and other variables with high sampling frequencies. While measuring temperature and salinity is relatively straightforward, calculating ocean currents is much more challenging. To calculate ocean currents from a moving glider, the velocity of the glider relative to the earth must be calculated. In this study, we present three methods for dead-reckoning the velocity of the glider relative to the Earth. Using these different methods, we calculate currents measured by gliders and compare those results with a nearby (<1 km) ADCP that was bottom mounted and upward looking. We also present a method to calculate the glider’s angle of attack, which plays a significant role in the accuracy of the glider’s measured currents. Additionally, we compare time series of temperature from the mooring and glider based upon the glider’s horizontal distance from the mooring. Correlations of temperature and current velocity measured by the glider and mooring are significant. RMS differences of current velocities between platforms indicate an improvement in our results over existing methods.

 --
 Daniel Ellis

Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Marine Science
 University of California,
 Santa Barbara CA 93106-6150

Personal website(http://sbc.lternet.edu/cgi-bin/ldapweb2012.cgi?stage=showindividual&lter_id=dellis)

--