[LTER-nco] data on LTER net work web site

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed May 24 08:41:50 PDT 2017

Hello Sanna,
Your inquiry is timely. The LTER data office has recently been expanded to
incorporate data archiving for  environmental science projects beyond LTER.

The newly-formed  Environmental Data Initiative
<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/> works on curating and archiving
data from a wide variety of NSF-DEB projects. I don't know if their mandate
extends as far as DOE-funded projects, but they do seem like the most
likely home for the kind of data you describe. I have copied the EDI team
on this email. If they can't take your data themselves, I am sure they will
know where to point you.

Sorry for the delay in responding -- you hit a major annual meeting time
for us.
Cheers,
Marty

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Sevanto, Sanna Annika <sanna at lanl.gov>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I’m writing to ask whether one could use the LTER data portal for
> publishing data from a project that is not included in the LTER network.
>

> We have been running a field site at Los Alamos National Laboratory for
> studying tree survival and mortality in pinon-juniper woodland under
> precipitation and temperature manipulations representing expected
> conditions in 2100. The project is funded by DOE, and to comply to DOE
> requirements for making the data publicly available, we need to find a
> website for the data. The DOE recommended website CIDIAC under Oak Ridge
> National Laboratory will not be maintained anymore, and we have been
> discouraged to add our data there, without giving any new recommendation.
>

> Please let me know if it would be possible to include the data in LTER
> datasets, even if the project has not been part of LTER. We have very
> similar datasets to those from the Sevilleta drought and irrigation
> experiments for years 2012-2017. If some agreement between LTER and us is
> needed to include the dataset in LTER, please let me know and we can
> discuss. Our project is ending in Sept 2017 because of discontinued
> funding, so the data set is what it is, and we have no knowledge of the
> continuation of the site at the moment.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Sanna Sevanto
>

> ______________________________________
>

> Sanna Sevanto
>
> Research Scientist
>
> Los Alamos National Laboratory
>
> P.O. Box 1663 MS J535
>
> Los Alamos, NM, 87545
>
> USA
>

> Phone: +1-505-664 0232 <(505)%20664-0232>
>
> Cell: +1-505-227 9149 <(505)%20227-9149>

Marty Downs
Deputy Director/Communications
LTER Network Communications Office (LTER NCO) <https://nco.lternet.edu/>
LTER Science Update