[LTER-mcm-pi] conversation with Scott yesterday

Michael Gooseff mgooseff at rams.colostate.edu
Fri Jun 5 15:56:53 MDT 2015

Hi all,

I had a good conversation with Scott Borg onthe Thursday webconf:

1) AISS program manager - I expressed our concerns about changing over this position at a critical time for our project, given our renewal is due in March.  In the past, we have relied greatly upon discussons with our PD as we consider science and logistics issues of the proposal.  I suggested that this may be difficult if the new PD is getting oriented in the Dec-Mar timeframe.  Scott assured me (a) that Lisa intends to remain involved with AISS in order to be an effective bridge to her replacement and to minimize disruption to projects from this change (this will be helpful as the new Program Director will need to get oriented on their role with LTER too), and (b) that he intends to move as swiftly as possible with the recruitment. He noted that the position is advertised as a both career and rotator but he also understands the advantages and disadvantages of these types of appointments related to projects that benefit from longer term continuity.  The reality of hiring through NSF is that there is a significant process that takes time and the most optimistic start date would be early Oct. Of course this depends on many factors.  BUT, one thing he indicated is that he would like to have the new hire to go to the ice this season to get oriented on the entire program - given the timeframe of hiring and such, I suspect it is likely this person would deploy in January.  To this, I suggested that it would be especially helpful if the new PD could get oriented to the MCM LTER while on the ice.  So, Berry, Diana, Ross, Jeb, Byron, you might be on call to engage them and perhaps even give a bit of a tour if you are able.  Again, the urgency is that in only weeks after deployment they would be handling our proposal within the LTER renewal process.
I inquired about whether a temporary PD already in NSF would be likely appointed (like Sonja was before Lisa), and he said that he doesn’t have anyone identified to do so. My sense is that a substantial delay in hiring the new AISS PM may prompt this, but there are no plans to do this at the moment.

Bottomlines: (a) we have to be patient with the process and hope for the best, (b) Scott is very cognizant of the situation and wants us to be successful with our science.

—> I will probably plan to go to NSF in Augustearly Dec. if the new AISS PM is on board (I deploy in Nov)

2) Intercontinental Flight Gap (17 Dec - 04 Jan) - I expressed to Scott the 3 issues we discussed today: (a) that this is difficult to deal with after submission of SIPs, (b) that this break is difficult to deal with given that it’s between semesters and we try to balance academic and research commitments/schedules, and (c) that this break may force us up against the end of season deadlines if we are delayed getting to the ice.  To this he indicated that the gap is a result of several issues coming to a head at once - runway challenges, weather challenges, etc., and he also said that the NSF is in ‘data gathering mode’ to learn about the potential impacts to science groups.  So, right now, we have an opportunity to articulate to NSF the impacts to our science and some potential solutions.  If we assume that the dates won’t change, and of course that there may be delays on either end, (a) how is our science impacted? (b) what are the ramifications with respect to deadlines/ops (i.e., shipping deadline, etc.)? and (c) what solutions might make up for this gap (e.g., stay in MCM later? COMM-AIR over vessel?).   We need to explain the challenges and propose some creative solutions, including the identification of additional other resources that we might not have.  For example, if one solution is to ship samples by air lift after the vessel deadline but we don’t have the funds to pay for the commercial part of this, we should identify this, provide some detail on the magnitude of the solution, and what it might cost.  I get the sense that there may be opportunities to provide some additional resources to make such solutions work.

Scott also suggested that this challenge is not likely to be alleviated next season, though possibly the season after that...

Finally, what has not yet been factored into theimpact of the budget cuts that the House passed recently.  But, let’s not worry about that until it’s a reality.

**Please send to Chris and me: 1) the impacts of this Flight Gap on your group’s operation, and 2) possible solutions, assuming this gap holds, even if they require extra cost (and if they do, please detail them to some extent).

Thanks!

cheers
-Mike