[LTER-mcm-pi] Grantee travel pause from 17 Dec-04 Jan

Priscu, John jpriscu at montana.edu
Wed Jun 3 13:33:23 MDT 2015

All,

I talked to Scott Borg last season about using C17’s for science during winter. He said that this will not happen for at least a year. These flights are being flow to move contractors to/fr McMurdo and as a proof of concept. It seems ridiculous that scientists working in McMurdo cannot get a seat.

The mid-summer C17 gap has been an issue for a number of years. Ice conditions definitely play a role, but I think there is a lull in cargo and people movements in this gap as well (making C17s an overkill), and who knows what the DOD is up too.

If I were to argue for wheeled flights during this gap, I would see if an Airbus or B757 cannot be brought on board.

JP