[LTER-mcm-pi] LTER Data Center views

Cristina Takacs-Vesbach cvesbach at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:59:31 MDT 2015

Hi Folks,

I first heard about the data center idea on a NISAC call late spring.
At the time, there were only a few IMs involved and I believe they
received an EAGER to investigate the idea.  My first impression was this
is an interesting idea, but I was not very excited by it because from
what I heard I did not feel like this model was conceieved to serve
science, rather it seemed it was aimed to simply maintain IM and take
advantage of an opening.  However, I figured this is just in the
planning stage and maybe it would grow into something, maybe even become
visionary.  The docs that Peter Groffman sent around show that ideas
have grown and some of the ideas seem useful, but I am still concerned
that this model would not be science driven.  For example the GC would
only have 2 science PIs on it.  Furthermore, I was seriously concerned
that much of the proposed work would be to maintain really outdated,
clumsy infrastructure.  In general, I see little vision here.  I would
like to see something that specifically addresses weaknesses in the
tools we have available to us and paint a picture of what could be
improved, what specific services would be provided etc.  I worry about
this because I thought the data center would go out for competition, and
maybe I am wrong about this, but it seems like NSF is quickly moving
towards this model.  If these folks are going to be given this
opportunity, I think they need to tell us specifically what they will do
and support.  A strength of their proposal is to support network IMs to
develop tools, but with no specifics and no direction given,
prioritization and effectiveness is a concern.  Finally, I think we
would get a better conceived data center if this went out for
competitive RFP.  Ultimately, the award may be to the same folks, but
the current model they propose is heavy on corporate structure, but
light on ideas of how to serve science.

Tina

Cristina Takacs-Vesbach

Associate Professor