[LTER-luq] Infrastructure

Willig, Michael michael.willig at uconn.edu
Sat Sep 30 06:42:22 PDT 2017

All,

I have spoken with Program Officers at NSF in the Division of Biotic Infrastructure to provide them with a general, albeit incomplete, overview of what we know or do not know about damage to infrastructure (buildings, towers, instruments) at EVFS and environs, and to let them know that communication is not close to fully restored with collaborators on the island.

In addition, I learned that there is talk of coordinated activities by FEMA and NSF to help scientists and students temporarily relocate to mainland institutions and facilities if that will allow them to make progress with their research-related activities.  I will hopefully learn more on Monday about this, and report back thereafter.

With respect to hurricane induced damage, the advice from NSF was to make two provisional lists:  (1) structural damage to facilities and (2) loss of, or damage to, instruments and equipment.  So, it looks like you are already making good progress in this regard.

I hope that this information is useful.

Best,

Mike

Michael R. Willig, Ph.D.
Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor

Director -- Center for Environmental Sciences & Engineering
Professor -- Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Curator – Mammal Collections

Web Sites
Personal:  http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/people/willig/
Center: http://www.cese.uconn.edu/
Department:  http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebwww/

Phones
Office of Director:  860-486-2798
Research Office:  860-486-1455
Research Laboratory:  860-486-1772
Facsimile:  860-486-5488

Mailing Address
Center for Environmental Sciences and Engineering
University of Connecticut
3107 Horsebarn Hill Road
Building 4 Annex
Storrs, CT  06269-4210