[LTER-luq] THE USE OF METADATA TO ASSIST INVESTIGATORS WITH EXPERIMENT PLANNING

Eda C. Melendez-Colom edacorreo at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 17:09:47 PST 2016

Hi, It is my intention to present to you metadata, not as a requirement to fulfill our sponsor's directive to publish data online but as a tool for data gathering and databases design.
The idea is simple; as you write the following information...
- project description & data set abstract (Dfn. in metadata: Describes how the variables measured in the data set contribute to achieve thescientific goals of the project)

- data set methods (Dfn. in metadata: Description of themethods used to collect and analyze the data (eg., experimental design,field and laboratory methods) and the type of analysis used...)

- variables (including specification of labels used in data file for a specific measurement, its definition, unit, precision, range, etc.)

...you have a tool to give structure to the data files that will be used to analyze your data.

At the end, you will have a place to collect all this information and have a holistic picture of your project and data plus a specific place to find needed information for your publications.

You can download LUQ's metadata Word format form from:http://luq.lternet.edu/IM/OnlineForms#publicForms

I will be happy top assist you in all these matters, particularly in the design of a database using Excel or a data base management system (MySQL, Paradox).

EDA
Eda C. Melendez Colom
 Information Manager
 LTER Program