[LTER-im] May 10th VWC: Tracking Data Citations

Renée F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Mon May 3 16:14:11 PDT 2021

Greetings IMC,

Our next monthly Virtual Water Cooler (VWC) is just around the corner,
on *Monday,
May 10th @ 12p PT / 3p ET*. This month we will be tackling the exciting
topic of tracking data citations!

First up, we are pleased to have Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu> and Jeanette
Clark <jclark at nceas.ucsb.edu> joining us from NCEAS/DataONE. They will
provide a general overview of *Scythe*
<https://github.com/DataONEorg/scythe>, a data citation harvester. As part
of their presentation they will also present the DataONE metrics service
that Scythe interacts with, and show how it uses Scholix and the DataCite
Event Data service. We hope this presentation will inspire members of the IMC
to *contribute to further development*
<https://github.com/DataONEorg/scythe/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md> of this
project.

Next, we are pleased to have Mark Servilla <mark.servilla at gmail.com>
joining us from EDI. He will provide a brief overview on how EDI is
currently handling data citation tracking, plans for expanding use of data
citations as they are added by users, and to address a previously brought
up interest from the IMC, how to use Scholix to have citations properly
cross reference, e.g., between journals and DataCite.

We anticipate these presentations will take up the first 20-30 minutes,
leaving the last half hour of the VWC for Q&A and group discussion on this
important topic.

On a related note, if you need/want a quick and easy read on the importance
of data citation to share with your research teams, I recently wrote an
invited editorial on this topic for *BioScience*. You can check that out
*here* <https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biab012>. Also, Matt and colleagues
recently wrote a more detailed blog post on data citation for the *Make
Data Count* initiative. We encourage everyone to check that out *here*
<https://makedatacount.org/2021/04/19/data-citation-lets-choose-adoption-over-perfection/>
.

*Agenda:*

   - News and announcements (*All, bring your good news!*) ~5 min
   - Presentations ~20-30 min
   - Q&A and Group Discussion ~30 min

*March VWC Connection Info:*

   - Date & Time: Monday, May 10th at 12p PT / 3p ET
   - Zoom Link: https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/664969166
   - Meeting ID: 664 969 166
   - Dial by your location: https://ucsb.zoom.us/u/adFKUddBeU

On behalf of IM Exec,
Renée

--
*Renée F. Brown* (*she,her*)
*Information Manager, McMurdo Dry Valleys LTER*
rfbrown at unm.edu