[LTER-im] EDI update May 2021

SUSANNE GROSSMAN CLARKE grossmanclar at wisc.edu
Mon May 3 10:47:10 PDT 2021

[EDI logo]<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/>ENVIRONMENTAL DATA INITIATIVE
https://environmentaldatainitiative.org
Follow EDI on Twitter: @EDIdatapackages<https://twitter.com/EDIdatapackages> and @EDIgotData<https://twitter.com/edigotdata>
Virtual Office Hours:<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/edi-office-hours/> Wednesdays, 3-4PM ET
________________________________
May 2021

Updating the schema.org Metadata
The EDI technical team is now updating the schema.org<https://schema.org/> metadata for data packages in the EDI Data Portal to provide rich semantic information that can be utilized by search engines and Google Scholar. We will present details in a webinar on June 15, 2021.
Read more><https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/2021/05/03/updating-schema-org-metadata/>

2021 EDI Summer Fellowship Program
The host site mentors for our 2021 Fellows have selected 16 students for this year's program. As in the years before, it was very difficult to chose only a few students from the large number of excellent applicants. The fellowship program will begin with a virtual data publishing workshop (June 14-18, 2021).
Read more><https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/edi-2021-summer-fellowship-program/>

[https://mcusercontent.com/c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea/images/96c82dcd-9465-43c5-8af6-5eadf1873016.jpg]<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/edis-featured-data-contributions/seedlings-rainforest-trials-costa-rica/>Featured Data Packages
The Organization for Tropical Studies<https://tropicalstudies.org/> based in Costa Rica, is currently undertaking a robust and concerted effort to identify, retrieve, manage, and share important legacy data sets from tropical research projects going back to the 1960s. Two data packages on growth and survival of seedlings of 14 species of lowland rainforest trees are featured this month (photo: Dr. E.González, the original project manager, standing next to a Vochysia guatemalensis tree from the original plantings). Read more ><https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/edis-featured-data-contributions/seedlings-rainforest-trials-costa-rica/>

TECHNICAL NEWS

[https://mcusercontent.com/c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea/images/adaf18a6-222f-411c-9513-9d0a332ac6ae.png]Rendering of Markdown and LaTex equations in EML
The EDI Data Portal now supports the provisional rendering of Markdown and LaTex equations in most TextType elements of the Ecological Metadata Language.
Read more><https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/2021/04/30/rendering-of-markdown-and-latex-equations-in-eml/>

Convert EML to EMLassemblyline (EAL)
The new eml2eal()<https://ediorg.github.io/EMLassemblyline/reference/eml2eal.html> function converts an EML file into EAL’s metadata templates, allowing you to manage data publications within the EAL workflow even if the EML was created by some other means. The supporting eml2eal_losses()<https://ediorg.github.io/EMLassemblyline/reference/eml2eal_losses.html> function reports information lost in translation so you can understand which losses are acceptable and which are not. Give it a whirl in EAL version >= 3.2.2<https://github.com/EDIorg/EMLassemblyline>.<https://github.com/EDIorg/EMLassemblyline>

WEBINARS

We host our webinars on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 2pm Eastern Time (11am Pacific). For connection information, please check our website<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/webinars-events/> and events calendar<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/calendar/>.

  *   May. 18, 2021: “How to publish data in the EDI data repository - an overview” Connection information<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYvcOCtrTkoG9Q__fJ48z-x3gQvIK974Tuc>.
  *   Jun. 15, 2021: “Updating schema.org metadata for data packages in the EDI Data Portal to provide rich semantic information that can be utilized by search engines and Google Scholar.“ Mark Servilla (EDI)
  *   Jul. 20, 2021: EDI Town Hall

Please contact us at info at environmentaldatainitiative.org<mailto:info at environmentaldatainitiative.org> if you:

  *   have requests for a webinar topic.
  *   would consider an EDI data publishing workshop<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/data-publishing-workshops/> at your institution.