[LTER-im] EDI Update July 2021

SUSANNE GROSSMAN CLARKE grossmanclar at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 13 12:40:15 PDT 2021

[EDI logo]<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/>ENVIRONMENTAL DATA INITIATIVE
https://environmentaldatainitiative.org
Follow EDI on Twitter: @EDIdatapackages<https://twitter.com/EDIdatapackages> and @EDIgotData<https://twitter.com/edigotdata>
Virtual Office Hours:<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/edi-office-hours/> Wednesdays, 3-4PM ET
________________________________
July 2021

EDI Summer Fellowship Program has started
After receiving data publishing training during our virtual data publishing workshop in June, EDI's 16 Summer Fellows are gaining hands-on data publishing experience working with specific host sites, spanning diverse ecosystems across the country and in Costa Rica.
Read more><https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/edi-2021-summer-fellowship-program/>

EDI Town Hall
Join us with your questions on everything EDI, next Tuesday, July 20, at 2pm ET!
Registration information><https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYscu6sqz4sGdTxhS6qYRJYCjGY0Tojoq2Q>

Annotation Progress
EML 2.2 now supports annotating dataset elements with concepts from external vocabularies, most commonly, ontologies, which will enable more precise search and better understanding of dataset contents. EDI is examining ways to apply ontologies to datasets, focusing on two aspects: using the Environment Ontology<https://sites.google.com/site/environmentontology/home> for general concepts, and more specific annotations for measurements in data table columns. EDI will be working with data managers soon to apply these tools more broadly.

[https://mcusercontent.com/c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea/_compresseds/4a2c5007-04c1-042f-4581-90b915c52dd4.jpg]<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/nutrient-enrichment-grasslands/>Featured Data Contribution
The data on "Effects of nutrient enrichment on grassland biomass and plant diversity across the globe"<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/nutrient-enrichment-grasslands/> were collected by participants of the Nutrient Network: A Global Research Cooperative<https://nutnet.org/index.php/>, a grassroots research effort that conducts globally coordinated grassland experiments.
Read more ><https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/nutrient-enrichment-grasslands/>

>From our Partners

The Archbold Biological Station<https://www.archbold-station.org/> seeks a bright, intellectually curious person, to fill the technical support position of Data Manager (application deadline: July 18, 2021).
Read more ><https://www.archbold-station.org/documents/jobads/DataManager_ABS_Posting_2021.pdf>

Webinars

We host our webinars on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 2pm Eastern Time (11am Pacific). For connection information, please check our website<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/webinars-events/> and events calendar<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/calendar/>.

  *   Jul. 20, 2021: EDI Town Hall, connection information<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYscu6sqz4sGdTxhS6qYRJYCjGY0Tojoq2Q>.
  *   Aug. 17, 2021: "CZ Manager: software for sensor and sample based earth observations." CZ Manager is a graphical user interface (GUI) for Observations Data Model 2 (ODM2). Speaker: Miguel Leon (University of New Hampshire, Luquillo Long-Term Ecological Research), connection information<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0kcOihpz4sEtNmoviVZ_qCv-8ktc4iNJrQ>.

Please contact us at info at environmentaldatainitiative.org<mailto:info at environmentaldatainitiative.org> if you:

  *   have requests for a webinar topic.
  *   would consider an EDI data publishing workshop<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/data-publishing-workshops/> at your institution.