[LTER-im] Publication updates

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:21:27 PST 2021

Hi LTER IM's,
Jim is asking about publication updates and I thought the response might be
useful for many of you.

If you are using a system other than Zotero, this is the process:
https://lternet.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/LTER-Network-Publications-and-Products-Instructions.pdf

Just send me a bibtex file of stuff that has changed or been added since
your most recent update. (A little overlap is OK, I'll do a search for
duplicate entries. But it saves me a lot of time if you don't include stuff
you know is the same.)

If you are using Zotero (or planning to move to it) you should set up your
own Zotero library for your site. It looks like the instructions for doing
that are scattered across a bunch of emails and I'll compile them into one
document shortly.

In short:

   - Set up a Zotero account and a group library
   <https://www.zotero.org/support/groups>.
   - Download and install the Zotero desktop client and the browser add on
   for whichever browser you are using.
   - To facilitate sharing of pubs that meet the criteria for inclusion in
   the Network bibliography, it's helpful to add a "for the Network"
   collection. Collections operate like tags. There's only one copy of the
   record -- it just appears in multiple collections. So when you update it
   (with, say added tags or a print publication date), it is updated in all
   the collections within your library where it exists.
   - Import your publications to your desktop Zotero client.
   - Sync your desktop client with your online group library.
   - Invite Marty (lternco at gmail.com or LTER Network) to your group library.
   - When you do a significant update to your library, let me know and I'll
   drag the new publications from your library to the Network library and sync
   them so they appear in the LTER Network bibliography.
   - There is not currently a way to autosync group libraries (which is
   probably a wise thing)
   - After I update, I'll search and resolve duplicates. This is a quick
   process for a few publications, but even so, it adds up for hundreds. So
   it's helpful to know what the cutoff point was when we last synced.

I also recommend joining the LTER Network Group if you want to access the
whole library. (I just sent Jim a new invitation and you can also request
to join here: https://www.zotero.org/groups/2055673/lter_network). Also,
FYI, we'll soon be moving to an adaptation of Tim's javascript client
<https://github.com/BLE-LTER/Zotero-JavaScript-Search-Client> to better
integrate the library on the Network website. Sorry it's taken so long. I
am so not a programmer!

Thanks,
Marty

Marty Downs (she/her)  |  ORCID <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2833-956X>
Director, LTER Network Office
617-833-7930 (m)

*~~I sometimes find it convenient to email on nights and weekends. *
*That doesn't mean I expect you to reply.~~*