[LTER-im] REMINDER: Request for comments on proposed LTER Data Use Agreement

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Feb 28 22:28:36 PST 2021

Dear LTER Lead PIs and Information Managers,
Since the LTER made the decision in 2017 to make CC-BY the default license
for LTER data, the Environmental Data Initiative (like most other
repositories) has moved to CC-0 as the default dedication. We are proposing
to align the LTER default with the Environmental Data Initiative default.
Please take a few moments to read the linked document, discuss (with your
IM or PI) the implications of the proposed change for your site, and add
your thoughts to the comments at the bottom of the document.

*Proposed revisions to LTER Data Use Agreement
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cVF39DctVumVGOOuKSHNldhR297UbunXJElhpnzeQSc/edit?usp=sharing>
*

Thank you,
Marty Downs

*on behalf of the LTER Information Management Executive Team*

*February 1 email:*

A few incidents of concern have come to the attention of the LTER
Information Management Executive Team in the last several months, leading
us to propose a revision to the current LTER Data Use agreement. The
proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cVF39DctVumVGOOuKSHNldhR297UbunXJElhpnzeQSc/edit?usp=sharing>
will
be discussed at a future Executive Board Meeting and a recommendation made
to the LTER Science Council.

*Proposed revisions to LTER Data Use Agreement*
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cVF39DctVumVGOOuKSHNldhR297UbunXJElhpnzeQSc/edit?usp=sharing>

In order to have an informed discussion, we suggest that site PIs and site
Information Managers make some time to read and discuss the proposed
changes and what they may mean for their site -- including any revisions
that would be required for existing metadata, metadata generation systems,
site policies, and website content.

Information Managers and PIs may note any concerns or endorsement of the
proposed changes in comments (for minor notes) or in the space provided at
the bottom of the document (for more extensive comments).

Thank you,

Marty Downs

*on behalf of the LTER Information Management Executive Team*

Marty Downs (she/her)  |  ORCID <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2833-956X>
Director, LTER Network Office
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
University of California - Santa Barbara
https://lternet.edu   |   LTER Zotero
<https://www.zotero.org/groups/2055673/lter_network/library>  |  Twitter
<https://twitter.com/uslter>

617-833-7930 (m)

*~~I sometimes find it convenient to email on nights and weekends. *
*That doesn't mean I expect you to reply.~~*