[LTER-im] DataONE announcements & October VWC followup

Renee F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:29:49 PST 2020

Hi all,

Thank you to all who were able to participate in our October VWC featuring guest speaker Dr. Amber Budden from DataONE. If you were not able to attend, or want a refresh, the recording<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJPVCv_21d0pGkGnxeuCCoOJx2jTXTzn/view?usp=sharing> and notes<https://docs.google.com/document/d/191epZc80dtp0RuCNm1bIX6YF7GQ1xDFqbQKMLzb8Y8o/edit?usp=sharing> (includes the sorted chat transcript by Q&A) are available in the shared IMC google drive. For future reference, these materials are always made available within ~24 hours of our monthly VWC, in the “Virtual-water-cooler” folder (subfolders: “VWC-notes” and “VWC-and-IMKE-videos”).

As Amber mentioned, DataONE will be hosting a new event called, “Community Calls,” held the first Thursday each month at varied times to accommodate global participation. This is a great way for LTER IMs to become more involved with and/or contribute to DataONE. The first call is scheduled for this Thursday, November 5th at 1700 UTC. The topic will be Extending the DataONE formats vocabulary. I will forward on the original message from Amber, which provides additional details and connection info. We encourage all LTER IMs to subscribe to the DataONE newsletter if you’ve not already done so.

Secondly, the next DataONE webinar series will focus on work that came out of an ESIP summer meeting session called, “What we wish we had learned in graduate school: A data management training roadmap for graduate students.” I will also forward along that message momentarily.

On behalf of IM Exec,
Renée

—
Renée F. Brown (she/her)
Information Manager, McMurdo Dry Valleys LTER
University of New Mexico Department of Biology
Albuquerque, NM 87131 USA
rfbrown at unm.edu<mailto:rfbrown at unm.edu>

—