[LTER-im] LTER IMC statements for open positions

Stevan Earl stevan.earl at asu.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:59:10 PDT 2020

IMC - IMExec is becoming aware that there may be or have been a technical
problem with the IMExec email address (imexec at lternet.edu). If you sent a
statement of interest regarding one of the positions outlined below to that
address but did not hear back from us, we did not receive your statement.
Please resend statements straightaway and directly to me (
stevan.earl at asu.edu) instead. Thank you, Stevan

---

Dear Members of the LTER Information Management Committee (IMC),

Though our in-person, annual IMC meeting that was to be held in conjunction
with ESA this year has been cancelled, we nonetheless look forward to
community engagement and addressing business items during our August 2020
IMC virtual water cooler (August 10 at 12 Pacific). Please look forward to
a meeting agenda from IM Exec in July, and plan on a longer than usual
water cooler (~90 minutes).

In the meantime, we need to address the election of two important positions:

1. a member of the Information Managers Executive Committee (IM Exec)
2. the IMC representative to the LTER Network Executive Board (EB
Representative)

Since the in-person meeting has been cancelled, we will address voting for
these positions electronically, and announce the results during the August
virtual water cooler. In the lead-up to the election, we invite you to
consider running for one or both positions. You are welcome to nominate
yourself or one of your peers. Candidates must be a member of the LTER
Information Management Committee, and must agree to be nominated. Nominees
must submit a statement of interest, a one-paragraph description of their
experience, qualifications, and goals (see previous statements
<http://im.lternet.edu/news/meetings/2018/nominee_statements> for
examples), to the IM Exec via email (imexec at lternet.edu) by July 20.
Statements of interest will be compiled for the community of LTER
Information Managers to review prior to voting. Each LTER site is entitled
to one vote on these positions, which will be exercised by the lead IM
<https://lternet.edu/site-contacts/> at the site.

Brief descriptions of the open positions are included below, with links to
additional information. Please reach out to current or past IM Exec members
or Executive Board Representatives with questions. These are excellent
opportunities to work with your peers while also representing your site and
learning more about the LTER Network. We encourage and welcome your
consideration.

*Timeline*:

- deadline to submit nominations:  July 20
- electronic ballot distributed:         July 27
- voting closes:                               August 5 at 15:00 Pacific
- results announced:                      August 10 at 12:00 Pacific

*IM Executive Committee Member*

The IM Exec meets monthly via video conference. Major activities of the IM
Exec include planning the IMC virtual water coolers and the annual IMC
meeting, preparing reports for the LTER Executive Board, and coordinating
and facilitating communication on IMC activities. For a more complete and
formal list of the IM Exec activities and responsibilities, please see the
README of the IM Exec GitHub repository and the IMC Bylaws
<http://im.lternet.edu/sites/im.lternet.edu/files/LTER_IMC_Bylaws_v3_20180430.pdf>.
There is an opening for one IM Exec member, who would serve for three years
(2020-2023).

*Executive Board Representative*

The LTER Executive Board <https://lternet.edu/committees/executive-board/>
develops bylaws and strategies for the LTER Network. The IMC EB
Representative brings to this group the interests of and input from the
IMC. This is a profoundly important position, with the EB Representative
sitting at the interface of LTER Information Management and Network-wide
policy. To be considered for this position, nominees must have served or
currently serve on the IM Exec. The EB Representative, if not currently an
elected member of IM Exec, is a non-voting, ex-officio member. The term is
three years (2021-2024), which would begin following the annual LTER
Science Council (SC) meeting in spring 2021.

Thank you,
IM Exec

--
*Stevan Earl*
Information Manager, Central Arizona–Phoenix LTER