[LTER-im] ESA reminders, Open Science Section, Data Help Desk

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 14 11:42:18 PST 2020

Hello IMs -

ESA planning is well underway. I am sending along a few related
announcements, as an addendum to Stevan's email from IMExec containing
general info.

*Abstracts due soon:*
I'm sure you all know that *poster and talk abstracts are due next week:
Thursday, Feb 20 (COB, eastern time)*

*Open Science Section:*
This section is becoming reinvigorated. It currently has an interim
executive committee of 4 (me included), and will hold a business meeting at
ESA 2020 to set leadership and plan a path forward, and probably also a
social event. I encourage you to add this section to your ESA membership
(the first section is free, additional sections are $5; you can add them
any time). The sections have access to those funds.

*Data Help Desk:*
EDI is again very active in the Data Help Desk. Here is a blog post
describing the 2019 DHD:
https://www.esa.org/esablog/guest-posts/data-questions-data-help-desk-has-the-answers/
The DHD coordinates with ESA to provide demonstration activities for ESA
Career Central - a mini-theater usually within the exhibit hall. There are
slots open; contact Margaret if you would like to present one.  Of course,
IMC members are welcome to populate the DHD any time. You all have
appropriate expertise, and we are always in need of subs to free up a bit
of time for us to attend a few talks (again, reply here if you are
interested).

*Abstract Reviewers:*
To build a robust and transparent review process while maintaining the
quality expected of presentations at ESA meetings, volunteers are needed to
review abstracts submitted for ESA 2020.

Acting as an abstract reviewer is a great way to add to your CV, and
improve your own abstracts! Any ESA member is eligible to serve, including
students and postdocs.  No reviewer will review their own abstract.

Reviewers will complete reviews online over three weeks in March.  Each
reviewer will be assigned 100-150 abstracts (fewer if there are more
volunteers); each abstract will have more than one reviewer. The Meetings
Committee considers reviewer ratings and comments in deciding which
abstracts to accept, and this groups' skills are essential this year --
where the theme is "Harnessing the Data Revolution". Email me and I'll pass
on your name.

best,
Margaret

Margaret O'Brien