[LTER-im] New PASTA implementation that affects Oxygen validation

Remillard, Suzanne suzanne.remillard at oregonstate.edu
Thu Aug 13 12:10:53 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Several IMs have noticed an error when validating an EML file in Oxygen and rather than handling this on a case by case basis, I thought I'd send a message to the whole community so that we all don't have to bang our heads against the wall.

Recently a new certificate system was implemented in PASTA that affects the way the "HTTPS" certificates are generated. Old Oxygen versions cannot handle LetsEncrypt certificates (for some Java reason), but newer Oxygen versions are fine with them.
This certificate affects the schemaLocation:
xsi:schemaLocation="eml://ecoinformatics.org/eml-2.1.1 http://nis.lternet.edu/schemas/EML/eml-2.1.1/eml.xsd

http://nis.lternet.edu is redirected to https://nis.lternet.edu. (side note: update your EML to "HTTPS")

For old, but not too old Oxygen versions, Mark Servilla has suggested the following solution:

Modify your Oxygen configuration so that the network address nis.lternet.edu:443<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nis.lternet.edu-3A443&d=DwMFaQ&c=lhMMI368wojMYNABHh1gQQ&r=rXMuRfaym1QbEBVEAO21Fw&m=6ygorStOz3LuxZBON-iL_HWYfyncnojTnA0opejISlQ&s=z_MZGrfUBzLtyDmgE9GkMsKwg6ExQaL3gsdVjA3jyS0&e=> is added to the list of trusted hosts:

1. Open up Oxygen

2. Go to menu item "Options -> Preferences -> Network Connection Settings -> Trusted Hosts"

3. Add a new trusted host with the "New" button, and add "nis.lternet.edu:443<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nis.lternet.edu-3A443&d=DwMFaQ&c=lhMMI368wojMYNABHh1gQQ&r=rXMuRfaym1QbEBVEAO21Fw&m=6ygorStOz3LuxZBON-iL_HWYfyncnojTnA0opejISlQ&s=z_MZGrfUBzLtyDmgE9GkMsKwg6ExQaL3gsdVjA3jyS0&e=>".

4. Attempt to validate your EML document

Alternatively, you may see a screen that asks if you want to allow the "HTTPS" connection - select "Allow and remember".

[image.png]

For Oxygen versions that are too old (like the v12 to which the IMC received their original licenses), you either need to beat the system to validate your EML or purchase/acquire a new version of Oxygen (now v22).

To beat the system, we found that replacing https://nis.lternet.edu/schemas/EML/eml-2.1.1/eml.xsd with eml://ecoinformatics.org/eml-2.1.1 eml.xsd allowed the file to validate in Oxygen and then switch it back to evaluate and upload to PASTA (otherwise it will produce an error in PASTA).

To purchase new or acquire a free version of Oxygen:
To acquire a free license, non-profit (including governmental) organizations that are active in ecology can request up to 5 licenses: https://www.oxygenxml.com/support_life.html
Each license gets registered to a user upon activation and lasts for 1 year (the user can be the same user and that would last 5 years).
To purchase a new academic license, per user (on multiple machines) for $99: https://www.oxygenxml.com/buy_new_licenses_academic.html

Hope this helps some of you with old (2011) versions of Oxygen.

Best, Suzanne