[LTER-im] IMC Water Cooler Monday January 14, 2019 (12 pm PDT / 3 pm EDT)

Jason Downing jpdowning at alaska.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:54:12 PST 2019

Happy New Year!

The IMC will kick off the first water cooler of the year next Monday with a
discussion of the LTER 40-year review and and the IM self-study component.
Here is the connection and initial topic information:

*Date:*     Monday, January 14th at 12 pm PDT / 3 pm EDT

*Connection:*       https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/419931872

The current thinking is a two-page whitepaper highlighting how great IM is
at the NETWORK level.  The NSF review will focus on: (1) why do we need
long-term, and (2) why do we need a network? The IMC, almost more than any
other, can address these topics.  Focus of the decadal review is progress
in the last 10 years (2008-2018) and the IMC has several key
accomplishments. Bob Waide is also editing a book about LTER, with Susan
Stafford writing the IM section, and we want to be involved in this process.

Initial discussion generated a list of some cross-site products ans a few
concepts to be highlighted in the paper:

    climdb/hydrodb

    Vocab

    GCE Toolbox

    EML

    Unit Registry

    DEIMS

    PASTA

    EDI/data center

What are the concepts we should plan to emphasize:

    How was the network connected to development of product?

    What is the network use of the product?

    What is the use outside of the LTER of the product?

I hope everyone had a joyous holiday season and we look forward to meeting
next week.

Cheers,

Team IMEXEC

--