[LTER-im] LTER decadal review: request for IMC contributions and activities

Stevan Earl stevan.earl at asu.edu
Wed Feb 27 13:11:18 PST 2019

Dear LTER Information Manager,

As you are aware and as we had discussed in a recent virtual water cooler,
the IMC will contribute a brief report to the Decadal Review document. The
report will highlight the remarkable accomplishments and contributions of
the IMC to LTER information management and support of LTER science over the
past decade (2008-2018). A small committee of IMs have volunteered to write
the document, which will be shared with the IMC before a draft is presented
at the Science Council meeting this coming May. In addition to the
accomplishments detailed in the document, the committee would like to
contribute several additional metrics of IMC productivity to the review
document and committee, including highlighting IMC-related publications,
and a catalog of broader impact activities that IMs have led or to which
they have contributed. With these goals in mind, we ask each of you to
please do or contribute the following:

1. Identify IMC-related publications in the site bibliography that you are
preparing as part of the broader Decadal Review Information Request. To do
this please, tag these items with the keyword 'LTER-IMC' in the BibTex or
EndNote file cataloging your site's references. Tagging items in the
2008-2018 period is most critical so please focus your efforts on those
years - great if you can tag relevant items from all years but we will only
be using the 2008-2018 years for this particular effort. If it is not
feasible to tag your site's IMC-specific publications by that March 15th
deadline per Marty's request, we ask that you please provide the list of
IMC-related publications in a separate bibliography using the same format
and keyword noted above to me (Stevan) by March 29th (but this is
definitely not the preferred option).

2. We sympathize that a great deal of thought and effort have gone into
products, such as DataBits articles, that will not be included in the
bibliography that you are preparing as part of the broader Decadal Review
Information Request. We feel that preparing a separate bibliography
featuring such works would be too onerous at this time, and we do not
currently have mechanisms in place to share or maintain a separate IMC
bibliography. However, we do not want these efforts to go unrecognized.
Please tally the number of IMC-related products from your site that were
generated in the 2008-2018 period and that will not be included in your
site bibliography. These items include white papers, best practices, and
DataBits articles among others. Please enter the tally in the 'other
products' tab of the LTER-IMC-broader-impacts
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XOsYWp15-4_ybw-0-DNqOOd1Kti649YBCO7G8slMi4/edit?usp=sharing>
Google Sheet by March 29th. We understand that a simple tally will result
in some duplication across sites.

3. Add to the LTER-IMC-broader-impacts
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XOsYWp15-4_ybw-0-DNqOOd1Kti649YBCO7G8slMi4/edit?usp=sharing>
Google Sheet that will catalog IMC broader-impact activities during the
period 2008-2018. There are detailed instructions in the Sheet ('broader
impacts' tab) header but, briefly, please list IM-related activities that
you or your site have led or contributed to during the past decade.
Contributing to past EIMCs and sensor training at the SEV are examples
listed in the Sheet. Additional examples might include formal (e.g.,
workshop, working group) contributions to DEIMS, GCE Toolbox, or ClimDB; or
facilitating a EDI webinar. Please provide as much detail about these
activities as possible but do not let a lack of detail prevent you from
listing something - even a faint recollection about an activity could jog
the memory of a fellow IM with more details about the activity. GitHub
projects and metrics (if available) can be listed separately on the 'GitHub
Projects' tab. If you are a relatively new IM at a site that is not new,
please lean on your colleagues who may have some knowledge of these
activities. Please make your contributions to the LTER-IMC-broader-impacts
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XOsYWp15-4_ybw-0-DNqOOd1Kti649YBCO7G8slMi4/edit?usp=sharing>
Google Sheet not later than March 29th.

We very much appreciate that this is a busy time for all of us, but hope
that you understand the importance of contributing salient information and
ensuring that our collective work over the past decade is recognized during
this review that is certain to have a great impact on us and our efforts
going forward.

*Quick summary of requests:*
1. Tag all IMC-related publications (2008-2018) in your site's bibliography
with the keyword 'LTER-IMC'. *Due March 15th.*
2. Provide a single tally of IMC-related publications (2008-2018) not
included in the site bibliography (e.g., DataBits articles) - add tally to
the 'other products' tab of the LTER-IMC-broader-impacts
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XOsYWp15-4_ybw-0-DNqOOd1Kti649YBCO7G8slMi4/edit?usp=sharing>
Google Sheet. *Due March 29th.*
3. Contribute broader impacts (2008-2018) to the LTER-IMC-broader-impacts
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XOsYWp15-4_ybw-0-DNqOOd1Kti649YBCO7G8slMi4/edit?usp=sharing>
Google Sheet. *Due March 29th.*

Thank you,
Stevan and the IMC report writing team

--
*Stevan Earl*
Information Manager, Central Arizona–Phoenix LTER

P.O. Box 875402 | Tempe, Arizona | 85287-5402
PH: 480-965-1851 | Main: 480-965-2975