[LTER-im] vocabulary usages

Mark Schildhauer schild at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 19 12:47:19 PST 2019

Hi folks,

Margaret, Pier Buttigieg (whom you might have met at the LTER ASM meetings
last year), and I are working with some international Arctic researchers,
where interest is running high in using semantic web technologies to
facilitate broader discovery and interoperability of pan-Arctic
environmental data.

As part of that effort, we are trying to determine what, if any, controlled
vocabularies are being used to describe Arctic data.  Although the
following poll (that should only take about 5 minutes to fill out) is
mainly aimed at Arctic researchers and information managers, it would be
helpful if you can tell us about whether you are actively using or plan to
use any existing vocabularies to describe specific measurements,
observations, environmental features or phenomena, etc.-- for Arctic or
alpine data:

https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs

This is particularly timely given the soon-to-be released enhancements to
allow semantic annotation in EML.

Thanks for your assistance!

cheers,
Mark

-----
Mark Schildhauer, PhD
Director of Computing (ret.)
Co-PI, Arctic Data Center
Co-PI, LTER Network Communications Office
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, NCEAS, UCSB
735 State St., Suite 300
Santa Barbara CA 93101
Email: schild at nceas dot ucsb dot edu
Web: http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu; http://arcticdata.io <http://arcticdata.io/>
; http://lternet.edu
NOTE CHANGE-- Ph: 805-886-9526  FAX: 805-893-7541