[LTER-im] IMC VWC December 16th - Dataset Attribution (NOTE DATE CHANGE)

Jason Downing jpdowning at alaska.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:29:11 PST 2019

*Reminder that our VWC is this today!*

Monday   December 16th  at 12 pm PDT / 3 pm EDT

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/419931872

Or Telephone:
US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833
Meeting ID: 419 931 872

*December VWC - Dataset Attribution*

Part 1:
*Organizations in attribution*
Driving questions: Should organizations appear in dataset citations? What
rules should EDI follow for display of organizations?

ESIP guidelines state that a particular group or small organization may
sometimes be the author of a dataset.  EML best practices v3 state that the
creator list should include the organization using <organizationName>, or
the current principal investigator using <postitionName>.

Using <organizationName> impacts how the citation is auto-generated on the
LTER Data Portal:

If the creator list only includes organizations, then the organizations
show up in the citation.

If the creator list includes an organization and a person, **only the
person shows up in the citation**.

Some LTER sites get around this by using <individualName> instead of
<organizationName> for the organization, i.e., they treat their site as a
person.

If EDI changes their practice to include organizations in citations which
also include individuals, then this will after a great many datasets in
EDI. IMs may want to revise their EML if they had provided their
organization as both organizations and individuals.

Part 2:* Attributing long-term datasets*

Driving questions: Should the citation for a long-term dataset include the
ever-growing list of PIs associated with the dataset, or just the
organization name?  What about the potentially monstrous list of associated
parties?  Who goes in that list? How could one supply information on when a
given party was involved with the dataset (e.g., as a CSV table), and
should that temporal information be in the metadata?

*Suggested reading material prior to the VWC*
Best Practices for Dataset Metadata in Ecological Metadata Language (EML
Best Practices V3). 2017. Environmental Data Initiative.
https://environmentaldatainitiative.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/emlbestpractices-v3.pdf

ESIP Data Preservation and Stewardship Committee. 2019. Data Citation
Guidelines for Earth Science Data. Ver. 2. Earth Science Information
Partners. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.8441816.

jpdowning at alaska.edu
907.474.6364 (Office)
907.474.6251 (Fax)