[LTER-im] PASTA+ system upgrade complete...

Mark Servilla mark.servilla at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 07:11:23 PDT 2019

Dear IM,

I am excited to announce that we have completed the migration of PASTA+ and
related services to the latest version (18.04 LTS) of the Ubuntu operating
system. A total 18 servers were affected, including those in our
production, staging, and development environments. This event also brought
to bear new versions of the Tomcat and Jetty servlet containers to our Java
infrastructure and the use of Nginx as our primary front-end web server. In
addition, we are now using LetsEncrypt SSL certificates throughout our
public-facing infrastructure.

As part of our change to the use of LetsEncrypt, we are now redirecting all
HTTP requests to HTTPS to enhance and enforce network-level security -
especially when connections contain user login credentials in the payload.
It has been brought to our attention that some users may be using scripts
that rely on the HTTP connection. If this is the case, your software should
be modified to either directly use the HTTPS protocol in your request or
ensure that your software will follow a 301 "redirect" to HTTPS. The "cURL"
command, for instance, will follow redirects if provided the "-L" or
"--location" command line flag. For example:

curl -i -L -X GET http://pasta.lternet.edu/package/eml

will redirect to "https://pasta.lterent.edu/package/eml".

Finally, our migration touched a great deal of system-level configuration,
which still may not be perfectly tuned. If you experience any oddity or
issues in the use of PASTA+ services, please lets us know, along with as
much detail as you can provide, at your earliest convenience. Thank you
again.

Sincerely,
Mark

---